SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bett_julibrissin

ID wanted for leafy shrub-like plant

bett_julibrissin
13 years ago

There's a large shrubby plant growing at my friend's house in Virginia that I would like a name for. No one in the family knows what the name of the plant is, and though I did see the same exact plant at a botanical garden while I was in Virginia (and the name plate for that matter), the name escapes me. All my friend and I can remember from the name plaque is 'sensitive'. I'm having issues googling this plant, as google searches with sensitive and plant tend to show results for Mimosas, and I can't seem to find the plant on the botanical garden's website. I thought it might help to post here and see if anyone recognized it. I'm not sure if this really belongs in the shrub category, but the plant is upright and shrubby in nature, and I don't know what other plant category it could go into.

I unfortunately have no clear photo of this plant, but I made an attempt at drawing the leaf from memory. The leaf shape may have been slightly different and more deeply lobed, but I hope the picture is similar enough to help. Each leaf was about a foot across for reference. The edges were not serrated and the leaves were a shiny, dark green. The whole plant was alive with no leaf damage when the temperature outside was a few degrees below freezing.

{{gwi:241070}}
I also included a rough representation of the flower stalk, which had whitish berry-like fruits on it throughout January. The stalk itself was the same color as the fruits, somewhat off white. The stems of the whole plant were brown and somewhat woody, and they were a bit vine like in the way they were shaped (bendy and not growing straight).

Though I'm not sure it will be of much help, here is the only photo I have containing this plant. Ignore the giant spider. ;)

{{gwi:241068}}

The leaves in the picture are about 5 feet up from the ground level.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)