SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_n_ga_mts

New to the garden this spring

ken-n.ga.mts
12 years ago

OK everyone, what do you have coming this spring. I received an order from Angel Gardens last week; Green Rose, Molineaux, Lady Emma Hamilton, The Wedgewood Rose, Crocus Rose, Carding Mill, Abraham Darby. Still on back order to be shipped in late spring; Barrone Prevost, Olympic Gold. Coming the 1st week of March from K&M; 2 Snuffy, 2 Here's Gert, 2 Stainless Steel, 1 Hannah Gorden, 1 Lady of the Dawn. Would love to have more but my wallet says "No way". Already licking my chops for a fall order and to finish my David Austin's next spring ( maybe 6 or 7 more varieties ).Got my hands dirty this week. Love it. :)

Comments (46)

• harmonyp
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Twilight Zone and Stainless Steel coming in a week. Cannot wait! Then found over the past few weeks as bareroots: Strike It Rich, Pink Peace, Livin Easy, Gemini, Royal Highness, Purple Tiger, Barbara Steisand, Julie Child. Also found and purchased, not from a wish list but because I couldn't resist price: cl Handel, Garden Party, Agnes Winchel. I see two of these guys don't receive very high reviews - but I couldn't pass them up!

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Oh gosh...where do I begin..lol! I think I have over 50 coming...so you'll all know what i'll be doing this summer: planting!!! (excuse my cutting-and-pasting) To be honest, I'm kind of afraid to add them all up...yikes!

Here's a quick rundown:

Angel Gardens (end of Feb)
    1. Francis Dubriel- gallon
    2. Petite Pink Scotch- gallon
    3. Elizabeth Stuart - Qt if you have it, if not gallon
    4. Mistress Bosanquet
    5. Mme Scipion Cochet ��" Gallon
    6. Mary Magdalene

Palantine (March Shipping)
    1. Pompon Veranda
    2. Ascot
    3. Acropolis
    4. Kordes Herkules
    5. Mon Petit Chou
    6. Queen of Hearts
    7. Red Riding Hood
    8. South Africa
    9. Three Weddings

Pickering (March 12)
    1. Dream Come True
    2. Blanche Fleur
    3. Ombree Parfaite
    4. Belle Amour
    5. Deuil de Paul Fontaine
    6. Blanc de Vibert
    7. The Reeve
    8. Wingthorn
    9. Nevada

Vintage Gardens (May 1)
    1. Lady Overtoun (1907-Dickson) Hybrid Perpetual
    2. Mint Julep (1983-Christiansen �US) GR / 3 ft / ?
    3. Evona�s Yellow (found/LA,US) HT /
    4. Tenacious (2002-McGredy-NZ) FL / ? / ?
    5. Cymbaline (1983-Austin) SH / 4-5 ft / 5b
    6. Bambi (1962-Watkins-UK) FL / ? / ?
    7. Intermezzo (1963-S Dot-Spain) HT / 3-4ft / ?
    8. The Painter/Michelangelo (1996-McGredy-NZ) FL / 3-4 ft / 6b
    9. Cornelia VI (1925-Pemberton-UK) HM / 5-10 ft / 5b
    10. Nimbus (1989-LeGrice-UK) FL / ? / ?
    11. Double Plum (1989-Sagmiller-Found) Hy China / ? / ?
    12. Jactan/Butterscotch (1986-Warriner-US) LFC / 8-10ft / 6b
    13. Aperitif (1972-Boerner-US) FL / ? / ?
    14. Trade Winds (1964-Von Abrams-US) HT / ? / 7b
    15. Lullaby (1953-Shepherd/US) Polyantha / ? / 6b
    16. Ballet (1958-Kordes) HT / ? /?
    17. Pink-a-Boo (1961-Boerner-US) FL / ? / ?

S&W Greenhouse (February)
    1. St. Patrick
    2. Bulls Eye
    3. Lime Sublime
    4. Ketchup and Mustard
    5. Vavoom
    6. Twilight Zone

Burlington (March 26)
    1. Wedding Cake
    2. Greensleeves
    3. Purple Buttons
    4. Senegal
    5. Route 66
    6. Arthur Bell
    7. Little Butterfly
    8. Lavender Crystal

April 2, 2012 Shipping (Rogue Valley)
    1. Orpheline de Julliet
    2. James Mason
    3. Indigo
    4. White Pet
    5. Dr. Robert Korns
    6. Plaisanterie
    7. Chianti
    8. Snow Gosling
    9. Papi Delbard
    10. Romaggi Plot Bourbon
    11. Rainbow
    12. Kisme

David Austin (Spring Shipping)
    1. Reine Des Violettes
    2. Carding Mill
    3. Claire Austin
    4. Gertrude Jekyll
    5. Golden Celebration
    6. Jubilee Celebration
    7. Munstead Wood

Wisconsin Roses (4/2):
    1. Mamy Blue
    2. Miss Kitty
    3. Ace of Hearts
    4. European Touch

Brushwood:
    1. New Dawn
    2. Zephirine Drouhin
    3. Cirtus Burst
    4. Lunar Mist
    5. Polka
    6. Red Eden
    7. The Charlatan

Heirloom (April)
    1. Morning Mist
    2. Caf� Ole
    3. Cal Poly
    4. Denver�s Dream
    5. Gizmo
    6. My Sunshine
    7. Teddy Bear

Roses Unlimited (4/16)
    1. Mme Dore�
    2. Duke of York
    3. Mystic Beauty
    4. Blue Skies
    5. Night Song
    6. Rose Marie
    7. Marechal Niel
    8. Stormy Weather

Two Sisters (March 15)
    1. Life Lines
    2. Graham Thomas
    3. Nozomi

High Country (April 30)
    1. Nastarana
    2. Quadra
    3. R. Moyesii
    4. Marie Bugnet

Actually, I guess that's closer to 70, plus about 5 clematis from Brushwood..thank God I have a large empty yard!!

• Related Discussions

I was rejected :(

Q

Comments (57)
    tivoli rose, I think I may be experinecing some of what you are feeling, although our house has not sold yet. (It's only been listed a couple of months). Although my husband and I really, really, like our house, we decided to try to sell it, as we have wanted to live out in the country again for quite some time. We live in a nice developed community, but after 12 years we still can't get used to the lack of privacy in the yard and lack of acreage. I also absolutely NEED more land, and HAVE to have it, in order to grow whatever I please, and with as much space as that takes. Interestingly enough, I can let go of my house, because I can build an "improved" version of the one I have. The thing that makes me crazy is every time I go outside, I know I will have such a hard time leaving plants and roses behind that I have nurtered and watch grow. A house is an inert thing. Plants are living creatures. I have gone through so much of the "let's take it off the market", to the "let's definitely leave it for sale". I think it must be a normal process to go through, unfortunately! My solution in the letting go process is to order lots of pretty roses, and pot them up, all ready to go when the time comes. I am also going to propagate the ones I have. I think I am starting to get the rooting thing down, but I will have to learn how to graft too. I know that Marechal Niel does better grafted, and poorly on his own roots, in Florida. On fortuniana he is a magnificent house eater. I think you need to get yourself some roses that you love, and grow them potted for awhile while you watch the sun/shade patterns on your new property. In the meantime, you will have something you love, and if you don't have enough sunny areas in the ground for them, then either move them around to follow the sun, or keep them potted up on a big patio area. If we do sell, I don't think I will even consider checking up on this place. I hear people usually rip out gardens and put sod in. That's their right. That's what they payed the big bucks for...to do what they want. I just don't want to see it. Buy some plants, root some cuttings, and take some pictures of your property and house. It's amazing how much easier it is to lay a garden out when you can look at an objective printed version of it all. Sandy
    ...See More

Bloom Pics

Q

Comments (15)
    Thank you all. When I saw photos of Forever Red I knew I had to add it to the garden. What color you see in the photo is exactly what I see here in my garden. Holds really well in the sun, rain and wind here. Half Moon Key is definitely another keeper. It has another bloom today and each time it gets better. Been raining on and off for days here so hopefully todays bloom I'll be able to photograph dry ;-). I started using my husbands camera. I find I don't have to use a white sheet to get the colors to come out correctly. He has a Canon Rebel XT IS. Alot of gadgets on that thing but I just need to practice more with it. Alot heavier than my Canon Powershot. Julia
    ...See More

Top Ten Picks

Q

Comments (21)
    Have decided that ten just will not do has to be the top fifty at least... lol. visited Korths about a month ago and his seedling beds are FANTASTIC. Phil and his wife have some exciting new babies and some of the babies have babies. It all just takes your breath away. Just bought Painting the Roses Red... it's so wonderfully toothy. also Flame Resistant a new Hensley intro it positively glows with the orange veining. Sorry to say tho... I have contracted the deadly Daylily sickness, I have to stop looking cause I buy buy buy.
    ...See More

Photo Op tonight

Q

Comments (15)
    A couple of questions about technique for photographing at night. First, a tripod I'm thinking? Long exposure or flash.....which. Depth of field seems to be pretty good, not a shallow depth. But do you set that manually? What is your camera? I guess I could look at your photo album, which usually lists the camera used, but let's get it all down here. A DSLR or a high class point/shoot? And I've tried to figure out how to do the black background so many people use with happy results. Also, with a frame which has a leaf hanging over it, not around the whole image, but just around the focal point at any angle they seem to like. Does THAT take special software, or is it somehow embedded as a technique in ordinary programs? Love the pictures, will have to begin night walks in the garden. Makes sense to me, since it is so danged hot during the day. Might catch a few more slugs having dinner as well.
    ...See More
  • strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

That's impressive, Tammy. Do you water all of them? Or Mother Nature water them for you? I don't water my Knock-outs for the past few years, and will water my Austins much less this year. The rain water is more acidic than my alkaline, pH over 8 well water. Hopefully we won't have a drought.

I'm excited about my 25 roses coming - I can't wait to sniff their scents and touch the thornless ones. They won't be delivered until mid-May to avoid late frost.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Tammy: Out of your list, I only grow Mary Magdalene and her scent is what I'm addicted to. I can always get Damask scent from perfume, but not Mary's intoxicating myrrh scent, better than frankincense.

Arthur Bell on your list reputedly smells like cologne, which is tempting. Burling, the owner of Burlington Roses, is nice and pleasant no matter how many times I changed my order. All these 25 roses coming this spring are own-root.

From Burlington Roses, Visalia, CA

Marchese Boccella (low-thorn)
    Annie Laurie McDowell (100% thornless)
    Crimson Glory (low-thorn)
    Comte de Chambord (recommended by Krista for scent)
    Basyes Blueberry (100% thornless)
    Fragrant Memory (low-thorn)

How's the fragrance for the following? Do they make good cut flower? Are they hardy to zone 5a? Are they thorny?

Red Radiance and Apricot nectar. And minis: Electric Lady, Blue Mist, Scentsational (thornless), Norwich Sweetheart, Love Ya Dad, Sweet Arlene, and Yantai.

From Roses Unlimited, SC: Bolero, Crown P. Margareta, Honey Bouquet, Sonia Rykiel, Nahema, Firefighter.

There's conflicting reports on the scent of Honey Bouquet, is it consistently fragrant, or less so? I'm not sure if Nahema can be chopped down as a bush in zone 5a. Is Firefighter too wimpy as own-root in my zone? I can still change my order. Thank you for any info.

From Chamblee's in Texas: Evelyn, Charles Darwin, and Heirloom hybrid tea (for cut flower).

If you grow any of the above please inform me as their thorniess, fragrance, and suitablity for cut flowers - I'm OK with 2 days in the vase. Thank you in advance.

• michaelg
    12 years ago

Jeez, you folks are gluttons for punishment. My garden has been full for about 20 years, and I just change out a few roses every year or two.

• User
    12 years ago

had mine already - the only thing I am waiting on now are summer bulbs - lilies, glads and dahlia (finally got around the getting Julie Jescot, an orchid dahlia) and some species lilies - cernuum, pumilum, white martagons.
    Off the top of my head, new this year are:
    Souvenir de Claudius Denoyel
    Souvenir du Dr,Jamain
    Cantabridgiensis
    Ayreshire Splendens
    Pomifera Duplex
    Mme Louis Leveque
    Aimee Vibert
    Helenae hybrid
    Penny Lane
    Crocus Rose
    Paul's Scarlet Climber
    Hot Chocolate
    Pleine de Grace
    Darlows Enigma
    Hebe's Lip
    Jacqueline Humery
    Matchball
    Patricia Beucher
    Tolstoi
    Sibelius
    Crepuscule
    Scharlachglut
    Belle Epoch
    Odyssey Rose
    Pomponella

Have got a couple on order but will probably wait till November as they are from Holland so must wait till I do a full order. Waiting on Louis Riel and Dawn Crest

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Yes, Michaelg - I'm a real glutton, my next project is a garden on my roof-top, I'm running out of room.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Good grief, Tammy, did you leave any for anybody else, lol?!

At this point I only have 3 mini/minflora on order, Show Stopper, Patron and Powerhouse. But I know I'll probably buy some more when they start to show up at the garden centers around here. That will depend a lot on what lives or dies over this topsy turvy winter.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I think the problem is that my yard is too big! Plus, I had a lot of perrenials in the yard when I bought the house that just needed replacement over the past few years, and roses are what caught my interest. Then it turned into a challage, and I always love a challange! Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment too...I can NEVER sit still and this keep me occupied :)

Strawberry, this winter I haven't had to water any of them because its been such a wet and mild winter (except for the potted ones that are under cover). Out of the ones you ordered I grow Charles Darwin, which is one of my favorite Austin's. It has a very yummy lemon scent :) Blue mist is my favorite mini...its a constant bloomer, vigorous, and healthy; you'll love it! Comte de Chambord I also grow, but the blooms are a little disorganized for my taste, I haven't smelled it though (I'll have to remember to do that in the spring)

Campanula, I have Hot Chocolate (same rose as Hot Cocoa I believe?) great rose, very vigorous for me own root. Mine is in year two and its blooms haven't reached that fullness I've seen in other's pictures, but I still love its deep rusty color. Darlow's Enigma I am a big fan of! I just added it this past spring, and you should see that thing grow!! It was a tiny little band when I got it, and now it looks like its been there for 5 years...and sooo healthy!

Tammy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

I've been saying for months that I have no space left -- so I have to be content with just 1-2 more. But yesterday I checked my orders and discovered that my 1-2 had turned into 11 roses--and I actually have space for them. What is puzzling now is why, for months and months, I was under the impression that I had no more room. I guess under pressure of all those alluring roses calling our names, our definitions of "space" (and "no space") change!

David Austin:
    Lady of Shalott
    St Swithun Climber
    (two) Queen of Swedens

Palatine:
    Red Intuition
    Memoire (also called Ice Cream)
    Little Sunset (mini)

Roses Unlimited:
    Mrs. John Laing
    Peter Mayle
    Easter Basket
    The Pilgrim

It's so exciting!

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

LOL Tammy you are taking over for me with the over-the-top orders!! I used to order upto 100 roses a yr sometimes. Can't do it anymore. No more room... well... I can squeeze in a few here and there. And I did lose quite a lot last yr, so there's another excuse to add a few this yr.

I been reeeeally good tho. So far, I got locally (Wally World) a peat-potted HELLO DOLLY. And from Edmunds, just received KETCHUP & MUSTARD, BULL'S EYE, CINNAMON DOLCE and LORETTA LYNN VAN LEAR. I have coming from Pickering: THE WAINWRIGHT ROSE, JAM & JERUSALEM, LET'S CELEBRATE and SOUVENIR DE BADEN BADEN. Also coming from J&P: RASPBERRY SWIRL, SUMMER NIGHTS, and the 4 Test Roses. Oh and I did win a bid on Ebay for a DARK NIGHT to replace the one Edmunds couldn't replace for me. (Just hope I get the real thing!!)

I don't think I will order anything else. Almost did orders with Hortico and Rogue Valley, and I still may do one with Vintage... but I really need to stop spending money. I'm always thinking in the back of my mind, my husband may decide to up and quit, or could lose, his job that he hates so much, and yet we keep spending money like we have it! My younger son is out of work and we're paying for dental work that he badly needs and we have no insurance for him. Nearly $6000 worth and we're not done. Plus I feel bad spending money when we just found out today one of my husband's older sisters and her husband are losing their house due to both being out of work, and they're in their 60s! As much as I love the roses, I really do have to slow it down. There are a lot I want to replace that died last yr, but figured I'd try newer ones instead.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Beth, I've seen your garden in hmf and it's very impressive! I'm sorry to hear of your family's troubles recently. When it rains it pours sometimes. Trust me, I shoulnt be spending the money either, but the way I look at it, there's much worse things people spend money on than roses (then again there's a lot better things I could blow $1500 on) That's part of the reason I've set up a couple of cutting exchanges for spring for some older roses. Plus, i'd like to learn another aspect of rose growing instead of just planting and watching them, and learning to propagate is interesting to
    me. I just can't wait to see how my yard looks in a couple of years when the roses are more mature :)

• User
    12 years ago

Ha, oh yah, I have space in spring, Kate, before everything starts to get rampant again. Just shoehorn them in while you can see a bit of soil and let battle commence.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

I'm afraid you may have a point there, campanula. LOL

The only thing that keeps me from expanding all the beds out 6-10 ft more on the west side of the yard from the house all the way back to the alley is that the phone company insisted some years ago in burying the cables through that strip and they charge an arm and a leg if you accidentally cut through them. So my poor roses will have to carry out a battle for survival in the current beds, I guess.

Kate

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

Most of my new roses arrived in the fall and have been overwintering in pots in my new rose nursery area, right now they are all leafing out and looking quite happy. So far this spring I've been very good and only bought one impulse rose (Livin' Easy) while shopping for bare root fruit trees.

My 17 other new roses all came from Vintage and they are:
    Reve d'Or
    Rosette Delizy
    Mlle. de Sombreuil
    Blush Noisette
    Daybreak
    Thisbe
    Lemon Spice
    Phil Edinger's Noisette
    Mme. Zazu
    Archduc Charles
    Quatre Saisons Blanc Mousseaux
    Cramoisi Superieur
    Lamarque
    Crepescule
    Le Pactole
    Souvenir de la Malmaison, Cl
    Alexander Hill Gray

I also ordered 6 custom roots but they won't be coming for a while yet, they are:
    White Pearl in Red Dragon's Mouth (IMO the best rose name ever)
    Mme. Berkeley
    Niles Cochet
    Boule de Neige
    Mrs. Woods' Lavender-Pink Noisette
    Paul Neyron

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

White Pearl in Red Dragon's Mouth (IMO the best rose name ever)

Wow--I have no idea what that means, but what a great exotic name.

For simplicity's sake, I think "Earthsong" is absolutely exquisite as a rose name. The blooming of the rose is the earth singing its song. Isn't that cool!

Kate

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

IMO = In My Opinion. I can't say it's the best hands down because I don't know all the different rose names out there, but 'White Pearl in Red Dragon's Mouth' is so fetching I had to buy it.

Earthsong is a beautiful name too, and "The blooming of the rose is the earth singing its song." Is a beautiful sentiment.

• queenbee_1
    12 years ago

WOW, what lists you all have! I have purchased or rc'd as gifts:

Falling in Love, Mortimer Sackler, Queen of Sweden,Easy Does It, Love and Peace, Walking on Sunshine, Secret, Mr.Lincoln, Olypmiad, Sunsprite, Mirandy, The Fairy, Granada, Showbiz, Sundowner, Double Delight, First Impression, Miss All American Beauty,JFK, Sally Holmes, Pascali, Flawless. I know there are a few I have missed and I am still looking for a few others.. Next yr, I plan of ordering some from Roses Unlimited.. I plan on starting a Rose fund..so I don't feel so quilty about all these purchases..LOL

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

Strawberryhill, my Marchesa Boccella is in no way "low thorn." Also, I had hardiness issues with Yantai.

I *think* I ordered, but I can't remember... I'll go and check.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Thank you, Diane_nj, for the info. Peter Beales UK website ranks Jacques Cartier 5 out of 10, or 1/2 thorns. And they are also wrong about Shot silk as 3 out of 10 in thorns. I'll keep Marchesa Boccella out of foot traffic.

Thank you for confirming that Yantai is not hardy - Seil put a comment in HMF that Yantai likes hot weather. I got suspicious and took Yantai out of my order. I also took Red Radiance out of my order, thanks to Mad_gallica sounding the alarm on Radiance's NOT HARDY in New York.

I replace the above with Alec's Red (hardy to 5b), and Paul Neyron (hardy to 4b). Campanula is going to be horrified by my suicidal decision. I'm ready to battle Mr. Paul Neyron with a clipper. If he misbehaves and explodes in black spots, mildew, rust, and germs - I'll chop him down to 2".

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

It's true, Strawberry. Yantai is only marginally winter hardy for me in zone 6b. I have to heavily protect it to get it through. And in the spring it's one of the very last ones to bloom (like around 4th of July, lol!) because it really wants it warm before it starts to grow. It's a lovely bloom but kind of a diva.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

Strawberry: I hate to discourage you on Honey Bouquet because it is a wonderful rose for the south where searing heat often causes other roses to fail. But like many yellows, it proved winter tender in my zone. Good as a cut flower as it blooms mostly on single stems; blooms last exceptionally well on the bush as well as in the vase. A strong imagination is necessary for me to rate the fragrance as anything other then light to moderate. For a more winter hardy yellow with fragrance you may want to check out Gold Medal...Maryl

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Thank you, Maryl, for the above info. - much appreciated. I'll check out Gold Medal. The sun has a factor in winter-warming. Seil's Michigan and my Chicagoland area are among the least-sun, along with Washington and Oregon.

I got misled by Honey Bouquet's report of hardy in Colorado, zone 5a. However, Denver, CO is among the top 6 of the sunniest cities. I visited my mother-in-law in Colorado and the sun was so intense in that bare and high altitude. Going back to IL was like entering a gloomy jungle.

I take fragrance and hardiness over vase life anytime. Thank you, Maryl, for your help.

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

I'm envious of everyone's spring orders, these roses sound wonderful!

Strawberryhill, Marchesa Boccella is thorny, but is hardy, fragrant and beautiful.

I'll be adding Paul Neyron to my garden one of these years. I saw it at the Mills Rose Garden in Syracuse, and really like the large vibrant blooms. All of my Hybrid Pepetuals get blackspot, but this does not diminish their hardiness.

Radiance does well in my garden setting, repeats well.

Fragrant Memory tolerates a cold zone as well. It's a beautiful rose and the fragrance is really nice. It does have thorns.

• User
    12 years ago

pffft, you'll be moaning next year, Strawbs

• kathy_george_gw
    12 years ago

I ordered Randy Scott, the white HT. I do not have a great deal of room left.

I may get Mary Pickering miniflora, named for lady who sewed the flag F. Scott Key saw in 1814 in Baltimore Harbor when he wrote Star Spangled Banner - as this is Maryland and 200th anniversary of War of 1812. It is difficult to order just a couple minis or minifloras - better with postage, to order a bunch - perhaps to share with Rose Society?

• kathy_george_gw
    12 years ago

The MF is Mary Pickersgill.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

I got a 'Cinco de Mayo' off the Lowe's Death Rack, and a rosy-friend gave me a 'Comtesse de Segur'. That's it. Out of room, and the water bill is ridiculous. :(

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    12 years ago

I am in awe of you Tammy.;) So many pretty roses coming your way. Your garden must look stunning.

I tired myself out last year planting lots of whopping sized roses from Eurodesert. Bands are looking better to me now after digging those big holes! But did I learn my lesson and only order band sizes this year. Not a chance.

Arrived last Friday from Greenmantle Nursery (northern California):

The Garland (rambler)
    Harison's Yellow (species cross)
    R. omeiensis pteracantha (species)

From Pickering Nurseries, Canada (March 13):
    Aimable Rouge (gallica)
    Duc de Cambridge (damask)
    Juno (centifolia)
    Four Seasons Rose (damask perpetual)
    Perpetual White Moss (damask perpetual moss)
    Huntington Rose (Austin)
    Prospero (Austin)
    Mme George Bruant (rugosa)
    Polareis (rugosa)
    Ipsilante (gallica)--received email notification that there were no viable plants in this year's crop of Ipsilante, so I've chosen another rose--
    Wild Edric (rugosa--a fairly new one bred by David Austin)

*my first order from Pickering came last year in December, and I liked them so much, very healthy and vigorous growth, that I decided to place an even larger order

From Vintage Gardens, California (March 5):
    Petite Francoise (polyantha)
    Grandmother's Hat (found rose, hybrid perpetual)

*I was hoping to get the spinosissima Dominie Sampson, but heard from Vintage all of the Dominie Sampson's, due to be in the March release, didn't make it--so I need to find a couple other roses to add to my order to fill up the box (more efficient, naturally, and I wouldn't want to be inefficient with shipping costs*g*). Someone posted on GW last year that Annie's Annuals had Grandmother's Hat, but I didn't place my order fast enough, and just missed getting one. Grabbed one of these from Vintage while I had the chance!

I've seen so many pretty clematis pictured in rose gardens, that I'm ordering my first this year. Clematis Scottii (a species) from High Country Gardens in New Mexico and Mrs. Cholmondeley and Fryderyck Chopin from Joycreek Nursery in Oregon. I'd like to get a pink one with nodding flowers to grow into/next to R. roxburghi and a juniper shrub, but I don't know which one to pick (there are choices galore!!). Something that isn't rampant enough to cover and squash the young R. roxburghi, but that may also bloom at a different time of year so there is continued color. Those of you that know clematis, would Alionushka fill the bill?

Melissa

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Melissa the Clematis containing some viticella do the best in so Cal, at least in my area. 'Perle d'Azur' is spectacular, the best by far. The integrifolia eg Alionushka types don't do so well. They seem to need winter chill, though you might get more than I do. 'Comtesse de Bouchaud' is a pink that does pretty well, not a nodder, though.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Thanks Melissa, but I very well may be kicking myself too! I have two boxes of bareroot roses in the garage that came this week (Edmunds and S&W Greenhouse), and I can't seem to find the time (well find the daylight) to get them in the ground. I soaked my ones from Edmunds, and stuck them in my bags of Garden Soil in the garage, so hopefully that will hold them until I can get them in the ground Sunday :) That's why I purchase more potted roses, there's more room for error when you get them!

Tammy

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Just make sure you keep them damp, Tammy. You can even put them in buckets of water and leave them that way. I've had roses soaking in a bucket for as long as a month when I couldn't get them in the ground and they did fine. If they dry out though they're toast!

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tip Seil, I didn't realize I could soak them that long :)

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    12 years ago

Tell me about it Tammy.;) Only THREE roses came from Greenmantle bareroot, and yes I knew when they were coming, but was the flower bed ready? Noooooo! So I had to pot them up. I have to do a lot more before the Pickering shipment arrives or I'll be sorry because those are all bareroots too and I don't want to think of having to pot them and then have to plant later too.

Hoovb, Perle d'Azur is another one I want to get--it's stunning. If that famous picture of it covering that wall in an English garden weren't enough, there is the one *you* posted of yours in the clematis forum. I have another place in mind for it, on a fence were I have the cheerful yellow climber Roberta Bondar. The blue and the yellow combination is one I like, and I need a bigger grower for that spot. Blue Angel is awfully pretty too.....

But for the place next to R. roxburghi I want a smaller growing plant (and one that doesn't need pruning would be even better as R. roxburghi is one I don't intend to prune). What also is nearby is the polyantha Sneprincesse. Her little white flowers are shaped like ranunculas, cute and charming. She's just in front of a small birdbath with a fat yellow duck sitting on top. I'm putting polyantha Petite Francoise in that area too, as well as a couple parma violets. What I'm looking for in a clematis is one with pink flowers smaller in size, and I have a mental image of dancing pink petticoats. That is why I'm trying to find one of the nodding clematis.

Melissa

• User
    12 years ago

How about one of the texensis hybrids? easy to prune, lovely nodding flowers, not too rampant and will do well in heat. I do have alionushka and it is a bit iffy for me. I do have a terrific lilac coloured viticella with nodding flowers and even a delightful scent - Betty Corning. Might be worth looking at. Finally, there are a couple of tiny viticellas - Minuet and Little Nell which might suit your purpose. Good luck - roses and clems are a classic combination. So sorry, I am rubbish at links to help out.

• blendguy
    12 years ago

Wow, such wonderful lists, I wish I had the room to grow as many. For my tiny new garden this year I've ordered:

Austins:
    Abe Darby
    A Shropshire Lad
    Jude the Obscure
    Scepter'd Isle
    Jubilee Celebration

From Trevor White in the UK:
    Mme.Pierre Oger
    Mme.Isaac Pereire
    Boule de Neige
    Comtesse Cecile de Chabrillant

I'm still terribly tempted to add:
    Hermosa
    Louise Odier
    Lilac Rose
    Pretty Jessica

And doubtless, later I'll add at least one of the new English roses revealed during the Chelsea Flower show.

This is the "blank canvas", our new rented house with a typically small long yard in Oxford. I love the idea of adding some Victorian roses to the Victorian garden, I find the thought terribly romantic and I'm a sucker for the scent of the bourbons. I'm planning on only putting pinks, purples and whites into the ground, the apricots will have to live in pots on the patio for a year or two.

{{gwi:226786}}

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

My friend and I went out to Raft Island Roses today in a 40 degree rain to pick up new and replacement roses for our gardens.

My list includes replacements, 2, of Hot Cocoa, About Face 2. Firefighter ( I got their last one), August Louise, Bonanza Freelander, Climbing Amadeus, Twilight ZOne, Falling in Love, Sugar Moon, Over the Moon, SUmmer Love, Veterans Honor, Coffee Bean miniature.

I can't find a copy of my Palatine order so I guess it will be a bit of a surprise, LOL

I know I have Red Intuition and a 2nd Water Lily because I liked the first one so much, Fantasia Mondiale, Mondiale, to fill gaps in my Freelander row, Alpine Sunset, Royal City, Winter Sun, Sunny Sky, Sweet Beauty,
    Black Forest

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Blendguy, you've made a lovely little oasis there!

• blendguy
    12 years ago

Thanks seil! Not much of it is mine yet, most of the bones of the garden were here when we moved in just a few months ago. I've 16 pots of roses on the patio, and the new 11 roses to go into the ground so hopefully this summer it really will feel like *my* oasis.

I succumbed today and added Louise Odier and Hermosa to my order for next week. I can't wait for the to arrive and get digging!

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Hi Robert: I love that peaceful picture that you posted, it does look like an oasis as Seil described. I have the herb rosemary here but my cooking is so bad that I need some tips on how to use rosemary in cooking (I tried on steamed salmon and it wasn't that good).

I'm temped by Louis Odier, it's hardy to zone 5a - I'm too lazy to peg and wonder if Krista grows it as a free standing shrub, or does it need pegging on a trellis or wall in zone 5a?

Hi lizalily in PNW: I took own-root Firefighter from my Rose Unlimited since I want to get it grafted instead. Hot Cocoa is always in bloom at the rose park nearby, zone 5a. This winter is mild, and I'm hoping for another mild winter. The last 2 winters were brutal, my Knock-outs died back to the crown.

Does anyone know if winter 2012-2013 will be mild like this year? If so, then I'll add more Meilland roses like Pink Peace, Peter Mayle along with Melody Perfume and Firefigher (I believe these 2 are low-in-thorns?) Thank you.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

I found a good website tracking the climate for one's particular city. The chart for my Chicagoland weather pattern showed last year 2011, surpassed 1983 as the wettest year with 49.8" of rain. These charts show continuing trend for 2012-13: warm winter, and no drought forcast, so I'm safe here.

Below is the link to check out your city's weather pattern and forecast:

Here is a link that might be useful: climatestations.com

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Srawberryhill, that's an interesting link to Climatestations.

I grow Louise Odier as a freestanding shrub. I use a mini-trellis or garden stakes to help prop it up as needed.

(Years ago when I used to cook, I put rosemary on oven roasted potatoes.)

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

Well, I broke down and ordered a few more bands from Vintage. I had the excuse that my little Rosette Delizy was damaged by having mop water poured on it (argh!) and I was afraid that it would die so I ordered a new one, and three others since I have to fill up the box... but I was a little too late and three of the four I ordered were already sold out so instead I got Autumn Damask, Leda, and Placerville White Noisette. I'm still hoping that Rosette Delizy is going to pull through, most of the new growth shriveled and died but there is one sprig of new leaves that is still healthy.

My favorite use for rosemary is in a marinade - Rosemary, Garlic, Pepper, Olive Oil, and Soy Sauce make a very tasty marinade for chicken or beef, I use it when I barbeque and my family loves it. You can add Cayenne Pepper to make it spicy and that is yummy too.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Thank you, Peachy, for that recipe on chicken & steak. We have the mildest winter in a decade so my rosemary is green (not as lush as Robert's, but I still can use it now).

I added Peter Mayle to my Roses Unlimited Order. I don't know how thorny he is, but he's shade-tolerant for my low-sun garden. The Romanticas are good-looking as a bush at the rose park: glossy & perfectly clean foliage, nice shape - they are beautiful even if there are no flowers.

• User
    12 years ago

OMG Strawbs - another massive pink whopper. Have you actually seen Peter Mayle? I have and it is frightening - it is the size of a giant dahlia in virulent pink. No really, the flower (and you never get more than a couple at any time) is HUGE - obscenely so. Bears no relation to my idea of a nice rose, just a mutant horror. OK, fans of monstrous roses jump in now.
    Suzy - whose idea of a good rose is a large bush smothered in small and dainty blooms, single or semi-double.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Suzy - you are a blast and that's the main reason why I hang out in the rose forum: to get good laughs from your sense of humor. Only the English can make a movie as funny as Monty Python's "The Holy Grail".

We have big appetite in America: Jumbo-serving of everything, including roses. Peter Mayle probably doesn't bloom much in my alkaline soil, I was planning on using him as a coat hanger in my garden: tall and glossy.