SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

Results of parasite treatment and other stuff

sleeplessinftwayne
16 years ago

I thought some of you might be interested in the results of treating my pond for the parasites that I could see and the ones that I suspected were distressing my pond fishies. I haven't been able to get down to pond level recently but I could see there was something wrong and began taking notes to see if I could figure it out. Two of the three oldest comets have lost a lot of their color and one of the others looks burnished. One was producing a lot of the slime coat we read about and they would pause while their gills appeared to work overtime. Several younger fish had lost one or two scales in small spots leaving a white spot behind. This was not the typical ick appearance. I suppose there must be some fungus active but I can't see any of that. One of the fancy comets with huge butterfly fins had a funny transparent swirl on it's tail that over a long period changed position. Aha! A fish louse. Yuck! There was a bumpy texture to the under surface of the skin of some of the fish that seemed to fit the descriptions of several common parasites but without doing an autopsy there was no way to be certain which one. Then one of the larger koi began to hide in the corner. Within 2 days she was in serious stress and died without any outer evidence except the slime coat to show why. I was just sick. She was a truly lovely fish.

I read volumes about fish diseases and requested info from ponders on this forum and while I couldn't locate all the sources I finally settled on Praziquantrel and Anchors Away as a combination that would work on most of the common parasites and a few of the more uncommon ones. After measuring the pond repeatedly to make sure I was giving the correct dosage I set about mixing and dosing the pond. I hit a snag when I found the Prazi doesn't just disolve in water and had to go looking for Malachite Green and formaldehyde. I read labels on dozens for products in three stores before I found the right stuff. Really annoying but at least I did find it. I would tell you what the name of the product is but I read the labels on three sizes of the same product only to find that none of them was the same as the others. It was also annoying but not surprising that none of the store clerks knew what I was talking about and only one had the honesty to admit it.

The stuff was finally ready to go into the water. I poured a cupful at a time into the "blowhole" in the pipe going into the bottom of the Skippy. When I designed that pipe I was thinking about preventing a backwash during a power failure but this was the perfect way to make sure the half a bucketful of medicine was well mixed with water when it entered the pond. After the first day I observed with some trepidation that there was not a lot of visible affect but I did see what appeared to be several dead worm like critters caught in the Parrot's Feather. One fish shook it's head several times but there didn't seem to be any other effect. The next day it seemed that the fish that previously had their gills open all the time were now closing them easily. The excess slime coat was much less and the lumpy skin was smoothing out. The louse was gone. Hooray! There were several other minor observations that probably meant nothing. Today all the fishies are appearing to be in better health generally and I am happy to report there have been no deaths in the pond population except for the parasites and those nasty annoying black snails. Just in case there are some eggs that escaped I am going to change out the quilt batting filter material. I am sorry I waited so long. Maybe I would not have lost that koi.

Some of you might be interested in some of the other critters that live in the pond and in and on the fishies. I often recommend this site simply because it is so amazing. I don't know how old the young man is who put it together but I hope he knows just how marvelous his site is. Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: The world in miniature

Comments (4)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!