SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

Another sign of the times.....

sunnysideuphill
13 years ago

I stopped in at the local Agway yesterday (one of several locally owned by one family) and spoke to the guy who is the plant expert and in the past has had the responsibility for ordering everything. He said someone else has the job, I don't know anything about her skill set/experience except that she is very new and very young. Also he said they are only ordering 100 roses since they were stuck with so many last year. But - the company policy is J&P boxes and other mainstream bag/box suppliers, and they are almost all HT's or Knockouts. He said they are cutting back because people don't want to do the work of growing roses! For the umpteenth time, I repeated that properly chosen, they are no more work than any other perennial that needs a bit of pruning and food. Sigh. He has a few Austins, and in the last few years I have bought an Abe from him, and a Golden Celebration, both of which are doing fine with minimal attention, but they aren't as lush and productive as my alba, hybrid perpetual, gallica, damask and rugosa hybrids. And I ordered all those from mailorder nurseries. Bless those folks for giving us the choice!

Comments (18)