SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emyers_gw

Time & Temperature Germination Relationship

emyers
17 years ago

Trying to get a handle on the relationship between time and temperature as it relates to seed germination in general.

Seems like most temperature recommendations for germination are around the 65-80 degree temp range for most varieties of vegetables, annuals & perennials.

However, I've seen other circumstances in the form of some charts etc that seem to indicate that temperatures as high as 86 degrees decrease the time to germination which seems like it would be a good thing. I've also seen for some particular varieties of heat lovers that temps as high as 100 are used to speed germination and get greater percentages of germination.

So, if temps fluctuate outside dramatically and seeds still germinate why don't you see higher temps recommended for germination of seed?

Could it be that most of the books and seed pack recommendations assume greenhouse or in house, or in basement propogation and the 70ish temps would be considered reasonably obtainable temps?

Really just trying to get at what I need to worry about and what temps I need to start getting concerned about for varieties.

Any good charts anyone knows of that show time temp relationships for annuals and or vegetables?

Would really like to not worry about unplugging my heat mats as long as I keep temps to say, 85 or below.

Any thoughts?

Comments (6)