SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txgrdngal

Tragic death of 30 fish

backyardmama
13 years ago

A few months ago, I posted pics of my new 300 gallon stock tank pond that replace a little lined pond. I had 14 comets and shebunkens (sp?) ranging from 9 months to 4 years (at least 3 generations) and 12 baby fish that hatched out in the plants during the rebuilding process. The oldest were quite large - about 10 inches long. They were so happy in the extra space, growing beautifully, coming to me for feeding any time I walked up to the pond.

I just came back from 16 days in Africa. While I was gone, my husband accidentally left the water running for 4 hours one day when he was topping off the pond and every one of them died. I am devastated, not only with their loss, but by the suffering they must have gone through. I really do not know how to handle the grief. I don't want to blame him...it was an accident. He went bought several fish to help replace the lost ones and I'm sure he's black and blue from beating himself up. But, just how does one deal with the sudden loss of every fish you have grown so fond of and that brought such pleasure. My immediate reaction is to just fill the pond in and be done with it. I'm just not sure what to do. I guess I'm just posting this because I know you all will understand how sad I am.

Comments (12)