SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mazela

emergency goldfish deaths/water parameters ok?

mazela
13 years ago

help help help...

Iam from australia, and here it is just spring.Just for background our winter temps are day temps 73 and overnight 42.

summer here can be 100 degrees easy. at the moment we have come out of coldish(for us) straight to 85.

I have a 1320 gallon pond that has has been up & going for a year now.lots of pond plants (on top as well as below the water)

a large outside biofilter a uv light. & a fountain as well.

never had any major problems till recently

.tested ph (6.5)no ammonia no nitrates.i have had 4 large deepbodied fancies die over the last month or so. listless behaviour followed by death about a week later, no obvious outward signs. parasites I thought. am in the middle of treating them with jungle antiparasite medicated food.

I for the first time just added plain non iodised salt to the pond on recomendation of a pet shop. HELP , will it kill all my waterplants(not told about this) I have added dissolved in a bucket of water 1kg to 1320 gallons of water.

I have also one fish that is swimming sideways but eating @ darting away when trying to catch it.

I was convinced that i had water quality issues but according to the tests,no. maybe a little low on the ph (but it was in the morning)Iam planning to add to few limestone rocks if the ph continues to test 6.5. iam told that will bring it up.

question. will the salt kill all my waterplants.(eel grass, water lillies)? really haven't got anywhere else to put them.

keep going with the parasite food?

what else could this be , have one sick at the moment. or are they just dud fish , mind you have had most of these fish for a few years, why now

its so depressing, i have spent so much time on the internet researching what it could be , so many symptoms could be so many similar thing.I am exhausted & confused.

I have never had many problems with my ponds (occasional deaths , no symptoms, only one dropsy case)hence water quality question) going back years

please advice if you can.

mazela

Comments (18)