SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

The Much Maligned Fair Bianca

Molineux
10 years ago

Today I've been thinking of the English Rose FAIR BIANCA. She is one of David Austin's earlier introductions and often gets verbally abused here on the rose forums. Well I want to set the record straight. I've had this rose for years. At first she frustrated me because the upright plant is very petite (mature height 2-2.5 ft.). We all dream of the big cultivars, like Reine des Violettes or Mrs. B.R. Cant, so festooned with blooms that the canes gracefully arch over and touch the ground. Such roses are so beautiful they cause automobile accidents as the drivers crane their necks to get a better view. B-U-T there is a place for small roses. Perhaps you live in an apartment with a sunny patio or a retirement community with a postage stamp sized yard? Maybe you just want a small rose for a beautiful new container on the porch or to fill in a gap in the front of an established flower border? In these circumstances a rose like FAIR BIANCA fits the bill perfectly.

No rose is perfect. FAIR BIANCA has her faults. The vigor is poor. She needs to be grafted onto a vigorous rootstock to thrive. Now this may sound off-putting to some but in my experience the majority of modern roses (esp. Hybrid Teas) require the same thing. It is not too much to ask. She also needs spraying in regions afflicted with the black spot fungus. Well so do most roses. Here in black spot hell even the much vaulted Knock Out will spot up without spraying. AND it is not like you'll have to spray every week. Maintain proper plant hygiene and a preventative spray regime say oh once every two to three weeks will yield clean foliage.

And lets look at her assets. The growth habit is petite but the blooms aren't . They are medium to medium-large in size and look very large in proportion to the shrub. This earns FAIR BIANCA a good deal of "presence" in the small garden. Speaking of the blooms, they are STUNNING. Very few roses consistently produce flowers that look exactly like those in pictures, but FAIR BIANCA does. To drive home this point, I've been looking my entire life for a repeat blooming rose with flowers identical to those on the classic Damask MADAME HARDY. Well Fair Bianca's blooms come pretty darn close: the Old Garden Rose flower form is absolutely perfect with rotund crimson streaked buds opening to glistening white pincushions quartering around a chartreuse button eye. These blooms appear singly and in clusters on short-to-medium stems that hold them bolt upright (no nodding). Lots of OGRs with quartered blooms have a tendency to ball (i.e. Souvenir de la Malmaison) but Fair Bianca's flowers always open. They also last a long time in a vase and possess a rich fragrance that reminds me of Noxzema face cream blended with sweet vanilla. I know, it sounds odd but the perfume perfectly matches the pristine beauty of the blossoms. The little shrub also has good reliable repeat bloom provided of course that you keep her well feed/watered to support the bloom cycles.

Before she died, my husband's Grandmother gave us a small silver vase as a gift. Only Fair Bianca goes into that vase. A special heirloom deserves a special rose.

If you are willing to put in the work then Fair Bianca is a fabulous little rose.

Images of Fair Bianca by rayshine-z11 at the rose gallery forum.
{{gwi:229781}}
{{gwi:229782}}

Comments (37)