SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay3fer

Seedlings' TRUE leaves not emerging! Many kinds! Help! :-(

jay3fer
16 years ago

There's a similar thread here but I'm not sure if that poster is having the same problem... *everything* I've tried to grow from seed so far this year stalls at the cotyledon stage.

I use a heating pad, and the seeds germinate SO quickly! No seed "shell" on them, they open up beautifully. But then, they just stand there, cotyledons waving, and no true leaves ever emerge.

This is not just one type of plant! So far, I have germinated the following, which are just standing there not growing:

~ Basil

~ Parsley (SOooo many, so healthy-looking, but just stalks & seed leaves)

~ Coleus

~ Petunias

~ Butterfly bush (seeds I paid for so I'd *really* like them to grow!!! :-)))

It IS cold in the basement where they live but they are all under a decent (not fantastic, but it's been okay until now) fluorescent light and they are in a cheapo "greenhouse" that's covered in plastic to keep in the small ambient heat from the heating pad; to me, it feels like an okay growing temp.

At one point, a couple of weeks ago, I lost some basil to damping-off, but have been very cautious since then and watered with no-damp yesterday just in case. But none of the other seedlings seem to be affected... they just aren't growing!

SO... any hints as to how I can speed things along or at the very least make sure these little seedlings don't die? I check many times a day and the stems & cotyledons still look VERY healthy, but this lengthy wait for leaves is NOT normal. Help!

(In other news, my precious overwintered coleus are drooping and losing leaves & vigour... could it be related? Could THAT be from the chill?)

Comments (15)