SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosegarden3

newbie pond set up please hlep!

rosegarden3
16 years ago

I am a newbie to ponding. I have read tons of helpful info on this forum, and lots of inspiring pictures.

About a week ago I ran a search and found a thread about how to set up a pond and what I needed. But now I can't find it. I dug the pond about 7 1/2' by about 6 1/2' and about 2' deep. The ground is a little uneven so I built up on one side and all is now level. I am planning on having a waterfall/stream about 4' long and about 1 1/2' wide the top is about 3' off the ground(built up with the dirt from the pond). I have a 600gph pump/filter and a bio filter from walmart. I plan on building a bigger skippy filter(but can't find the thread on how to do that either). I know a bottom drain is recommended by most/some but I just can't put one in it would be to costly to run a drain pipe that far (I'm almost maxed out on my budget). so my questions are

1. How do I build a skippy and how big for my pond?

2. How does the water flow from the skippy to start the waterfall? Does it just come out of a pipe to a small pool at the top or will it overflow out onto the waterfall?( a picture or drawing of pond plumbing would be great).

3. Should I have a skimmer?

4. Is my pump big enough?(I also have a 450gph pump I could add)

PS

I would like to have a few fish and plants.

any suggestions would be great. Thank You

Rose

Comments (2)