SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevinitis

Mixing my own starter mix- advice needed

kevinitis
12 years ago

Last year, instead of buying pre-made seed starter mix, I figured that I would save money and mix my own for my vegetable garden. Following the ingredients on some widely available seed starting mixes, I started with an approximately 50/50 mix of sphagnum moss (pete) and vermiculite. I added just a little compost to the mix as well. My plants did well at first, but we had a late spring and as time drew on my plant's health declined. So there were problems with my starter mix. I did not add lime last year, so I may have had a ph imbalance. Alternatively the compost may have caused problems, but I don't know for sure. I would like to mix my own this year but I am reluctant to use the same mix. I do have lime this year and I could incorporate some for ph balance but I don't know how much and I am open for suggestions on a totally different mix this time around. I have a new awareness about issues with pete moss and sustainability. What has worked well for you? Any suggested mixes and why?

Comments (20)