SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Advantages of saving old nursery containers?

strawchicago z5
11 years ago

I am kicking myself for throwing away 14 old plastic bands from Burlington Roses' order. Her plastic bands are slender, with a criss-cross at the bottom, 80% opened - great drainage. I should had saved her bands to root cuttings of roses.

Tom in Chicagoland informed me of better success in rooting cuttings by watering it from the BOTTOM, rather than the top. He uses a tray of water, then put bands into the tray. Burlington's bands are designed to wick up moisture from the bottom, thus encourage deeper root growth, and dryer surface. Dryer surface soil means less fungal, and less pests like white flies.

I saved 2-gallon plastic containers from nursery, cut bottom off, to winterize my roses. In the spring the plastic wall keep the bunnies from chewing young growth in zone 5a. I also keep invasive herbs inside those bottom-cut-off plastic containers, so mint and parsley don't take over my garden.

My neighbor does the same to protect his bell-pepper plants from bunnies in the spring ... Except he keeps them on for the entire summer. They look odd with a plastic ring at the bottom, but it keeps bunnies away. What are other uses for old nursery containers? Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH