SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Whats the dumbest orchid thing youve ever done?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
17 years ago

I thought it might be fun to take a trip down memory lane to those days when we were totally stupid about growing orchids. I had one of those phases. Hope IÂm not alone.

Many years ago when I first discovered these plants, I only bought them for the flowers and to have something blooming on my coffee table during the winter months. I really wasnÂt interested in figuring out the various cultural needs of each plant. I stuck them outside in the summer and during winter crowded them all under some grow lights in a spare room I had. Remarkably they didnÂt do too badly. Oh yes, I had a very mixed collection  Catts, Dends, Phals, Paphs, Oncs. , misc stuff. I treated them all the same.

One day, I decided to move them all to the basement for winter since I was tired of looking at them all the time. You must remember my house is almost 100 years old with an unheated basement. To make things even better I live in Minnesota. During winter the temps in my basement are usually in the 40Âs to around 50 F day and night. On the coldest of days, they can dip even lower. I thought the heat from the lights would be enough to get the plants through until spring. It wasnÂt.

Did you know at those temps leaves on phals will simply fall off while still green? I also didnÂt worry about splashing cold water in the crowns of plants and leaving it there. You guessed it no fans for air movement either. I must say, I ended up with the most interesting collection of bacterial infections, brown rot, crown rot, bug infestations and probably things never seen by science before.

After that winter, I lost interest in orchids. I didnÂt grow them for a long, long time, but think IÂm doing better now.

Care to share some of your more brilliant moments?

Kevin

Comments (56)