SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

Rabbit hoards! attractrive physical barrier?

anntn6b
16 years ago

This winter hasn't been that cold (compared to other winters here). There is green grass and shrubbery out there for the rabbits, over 160 acres of it.

But my cats are getting older and the dog is getting lazy and the rabbits are eating closer to our home and in our beds and rose beds.

For the first time, my saffron crocus look as if they've been hit by a very low hedge trimmer. My smallest polyantha roses are similarly buzz cut.

If I move my saffrons into that poly rose bed, and put up a decorative border around it (it's square and in full view of the world (and the cats' solar porch) is an 18" decorative border enough to keep rabbits out?

Comments (13)

• triple_b
    16 years ago

lots and lots of Elmer Fuds. Kill da WAAAAABIT!

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Ann, do you remember the low wire fencing that George had around his beds? That was put there (if I recall correctly) to keep rabbits out and was working well and I thought it looked good. I doubt it was more than 18 inches tall. I may have a photo somewhere that shows the fencing. I will check. I'm sorry you are having rabbit problems. I saw a bunny or two last year so I figure that will be our next plague.

Carol

• anntn6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When we first bought here, there were no rabbits. All the locals noticed and talked about it. There had been a red hawk release about five miles up river several years earlier and the hawks were radiating outward.
    But the hawks kept on moving.
    We had one this past spring, but I haven't seen it lately.
    We've given rabbit hunting permission for our land (hope the hunter is eating well), but I don't know if the garden can take this wave after wave of destruction.
    At least the deer are staying away although the dog conveniently doesn't see them when they are down near the species bed, but does see much smaller dogs down there (she just has to hang out with some of her dog buddies; sadly she's not hanging out with hunting dogs.)
    Carol is right about George's fencing; it was greatly subtle and non intrusive and it seemed to work very, very well.

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Ann, here is the best view that I can find of the fence.

{{gwi:228856}}

Carol

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    16 years ago

Oh, what a gorgeous garden! The colors blend so well with the house, and I can just imagine the fragrance. The rabbit fence is fairly unobtrusive, and people will be looking at the roses anyway.

The former owner of our house tried shooting the rabbits and it didn't even make a dent in the population. He had a large dog that kept the coyotes away, but the coyotes are back now and are doing a fairly good job of keeping the rabbit population down. Of course this wouldn't be a such a great idea in suburbia! Having a fence makes very good sense. Going to war somehow doesn't seem conducive to the feeling of tranquility that we like to experience in our gardens. And, it certainly didn't work in Austrialia.

Ingrid

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Wow Carol gorgeous garden.

How about a Hawk or Owl habitat of some sort? Maybe check with the local bird people on what they need? The people up the hill had a structure built to attract hawks so they could watch them, and attract hawks it did.

Or a new puppy?

• jbcarr
    16 years ago

How large is the area? If its real big, I think some type of low electric fence may be most efficient. However, it must be in a weed free area, so it does not short out.

• iowa_jade
    16 years ago

At a local botanical park they used a wicker fence made from a donated willow tree. They wove it themselves. They said if the wrabbits couldn't see over the fence they were reluctant to jump over it. It wasn't very high 18"s or less. They used dead bamboo for stakes as willow grows too easily.

It was attractive, but only lasted about 6 years.

A Red Tailed Hawk visited our bird feeder Sunday. I think he was more interested in the Morning Doves than any wrabbits. Pity.

• happyintexas
    16 years ago

I find fences to be woefully ineffective in keeping the bunnies at bay. It would take something with openings the size of chicken wire to keep them out. I have a fence around my veggie garden and it doesn't work at all. Need improvements.

I spray with a homemade bunny be gone. It is very effective, just not too long lasting.

Mix two eggs with a drop of dish soap. Add water to make a quart. Blend in a blender.

Spray any plant you don't want the rabbits nibbling on. They hate the smell of rotten eggs and will stay away...sometimes they will never return to that plant. Usually I spray every few weeks-especially after a rain. A quart does most of the rabbit attracting plants on my one acre spread.

An outdoor cat solves the problem. I miss my outdoor kitty. On the other hand, I have more birds at the feeders now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creative Soul

• roselovr_in_eh
    16 years ago

This is too funny, Ann, I thought when I checked this thread you might have a good suggestion for ME! I do find this fence works although I wasn't sure the openings (2"x4") were small enough - so last year I hedged my bets and also put a cylinder of chicken wire around each new rose I planted (you can just see Le Vesuve with chicken wire in the front center of the garden). But it worked well enough that I think I will skip the chicken wire this year. Nothing else has worked for me, including both commercial and home-made bunny spray.

The problem is my SO thinks it makes the garden looks like it's having orthodontic work!!! And can't I please find something nicer looking since nobody else has to have that around their garden???

Thanks Carol for posting the photo, and thank you all for your comments.

George

• olga_6b
    16 years ago

Last year my cat had a serious knee surgery and was locked home for 6 weeks. Immediately just after a few days of her "sick leave" I got massive damage in my garden. Rabbits were running around in hoards, ignoring me completely. I tried "liquid fence" and some other things, but it was little help. As soon as my cat was out (still limping and weak) she fixed it all. She caught two rabbits in first two days and the rest got the message and were gone in no time. It really helped me to realize what a wonderful helper she is.
    Olga

• anntn6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, George, orthodontics? He should have seen the concertina wire around courtyards in the French Quarter!
    Olga, I'm so glad your hunter managed to get back outside and doing kittycat things. FerretFace, our rabbit hunter kitty has been slowed by severe osteo-arthritis for a year and a half. She can no longer run or jump. So the rabbits are celebrating.
    Our cat population is heavy on the side of pensioner cats. (Cats who did their part and now have earned their place in winter in front of the fire place.) (Smile) I think we need kittens this spring!

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

For a charming and traditional wire fence to keep rabbits out, consider double loop fence. It was widely used once upon a time, back when more people actually gardened instead of just landscaping.

Here is one source:

http://www.afence.com/SpecialtyFenceCAT/specialfence.htm

And here is another:

http://www.hutchison-inc.com/html/fence_wire/fence/ornamental.php

The close spacing of double loops at the bottom keeps the rabbits out, and the wider spacing at the top allows easy viewing.

Rosefolly