SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

Welcome Message draft

whitecat8
16 years ago

Here is the draft of the Welcome Message for newcomers to the Forum. Many thanks to Aerides for his skillful suggestions, editing, and reasoning. The parts you like are his. :)

The message is in 2 general sections. The first is a table of contents that quickly lists the 3 topics - 1. Forum First Aid Kit (FAQs & archives), 2. making title of your post specific, and 3. including details of your growing situation in your post.

The 2nd section gives explanations and details about the 3 topics.

Reasoning for this layout - if explanations and details of the Forum First Aid Kit are given as soon as it's named, for example, people may be likely to read only that topic. By listing titles of all 3 topics together, newcomers can see all 3 are described below in detail.

Please ask any questions about underlying logic. Otherwise, it's over to Forum members as to whether to post it to the Forum and what changes to make, if any.

Hope this is helpful.

Whitecat8

P.S. If you decide to use the message, if someone could format for GW, as noted in brackets [] below, that would be super. Aerides may be able to do this - we didn't discuss.

(Title) WELCOME, NEWCOMERS! Please stop here before posting.

[Following sentence perhaps should be at the top of the message itself, rather than in the title - too long?]

(Please do not respond to this message so it will stay at the top.)

(Text of message) Welcome to the Orchid Forum! Before you post, if you are new to orchids, please look in the "Forum First Aid Kit" (below) for the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and search options. Some or all of the info you need may be there.

The Orchid Forum is for experts and novices alike. Many of our old-timers like to come simply to share their orchid growing experiences with folks who are newer to this wonderful world.

So, please feel free to ask a question (and remember, there are no "stupid" questions, weve all started out as novices). But, before you ask your question, please keep three things in mind:

1. See if your question may have already been answered in the Forum First Aid Kit (see below).

2. If it hasnÂt, then post your question in the forum, and be sure to make the title of your post very specific (example below).

3. Include details of your situation in your post (example below).

1. The "FORUM FIRST AID KIT" includes [title should be underlined]

A. FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions): [should be indented & underlined; following FAQs text should be indented]

In the FAQs, we try to answer questions that come up often in the forum  so make sure you check the FAQ since your question may have already been answered. Examples of questions we answer in the FAQ:

[a-e should be indented]

a. I bought my first orchid, Now what?

b. My orchid is done blooming. Should I cut the spike or not?

c. How often should I water my orchid?

d. What is the sticky stuff on my orchid? What is honeydew?

e. How do I post a photo?

Please see if your question has been answered in the FAQs before posting.

B. Archives: [title indented & underlined; following archives text indented]

We keep around 18 months of earlier posts in our archives, so itÂs a good idea to search there first to see if your question has been asked, and answered, before.

ItÂs easy to search the archives. Just look for one of the three "search" links on the Orchid Forum home page.

One link to the search function is in the line of links above the title, "Orchid Forum," one link is in the 3rd sentence under the title, and one link is toward the bottom of the page, opposite the "TodayÂs Birthdays" icon.

For example, if you wanted to search for "CFL" (compact fluorescent light), type "CFL" in the search box, click the option for "This Forum" (otherwise youÂll be searching every forum on GardenWeb and not just the Orchid Forum), and click "Search." This will bring up archived Orchid Forum messages about CFLs.

Again, please check to see if your question has been answered in the archives before posting. If you put yourself in the place of a forum member whoÂs been here three years and has seen the same newcomer questions asked multiple times, perhaps you can understand this request.

2. TITLE OF YOUR POST: [title indented & underlined; following "title" text indented]

Make it specific. "Black spot on Phal leaf" is a much better title than simply writing "Help!!!!" A more detailed title will elicit more responses and a higher quality of responses.

3. CONTENT OF YOUR POST: [as above]

a. Include in your post the name of your orchid, if you know it (and I donÂt mean "Fred," I mean something like "Paphiopedilum [or Paph] Magic Lantern").

b. Tell us about the culture of your orchid, how youÂre currently growing it. For example:

â [should be bullet] Is your plant getting any natural light, and if so, from what direction? For example, I grow it in a southern window.

â [should be bullet] How close is your orchid to the natural light? For example, about 8 inches or about 3 feet from the window.

â [ditto] The type of supplemental light youÂre using, if any? For example, CFL (compact fluorescent light), fluorescent, HID.

â What type of potting medium youÂre using? For example, bark, moss, something really stinky that you donÂt recognize.

â WhatÂs the usual temperature range in the room where your orchid is growing? For example, 62F low at nights, 75F high during the day.

â What solution(s) to your problem have you tried already, if any? For example, I tried upping the light, increasing watering, repotting, praying, threatening to kill the darn thing, etc.

Thank you for taking the time to prepare your message so others can offer you the best information and support.

Comments (31)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm