SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cemeteryrose

Rose Identification Workshop in Sacramento

cemeteryrose
13 years ago

On Saturday, Feb 26th, at 2 pm, at Belle Cooledge Library, we will be offering a rose identification workshop conducted by Cass Bernstein (berndoodle on GW). I got to see a workshop that she did about rose hips in the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden last fall, and it was terrific. I'm sure that this one will be just as good. Cass gave an earlier version of it to the ARS National convention, and has been fine-tuning it in follow-on presentations. I can't wait.

Here's a description of the workshop:

Rosarian, writer and photographer Cass Bernstein will explain how to identify unidentified roses, the steps of documenting a rose and the resources for finding its correct name. You will learn that the flower is not the only thing that make a rose a rose, as you look at differing growth habits, prickles, leaves, and hips. Armed with this information, you will be better prepared to identify roses you encounter in old cemeteries, public gardens or your own garden. Cass spoke on this subject at the National American Rose Society conference in Palm Springs in 2009 and at local rose groups.

Belle Cooledge Library is at 5600 South Land Park Drive, easy to get to from the Sacramento cemetery or the freeway. The event is free, as is admission to the cemetery, so if you want to make a day of it and check out how are roses have been pruned and what's in early bloom, you could visit the cemetery and then come to the class.

Hope to see some of you there. If you have any questions, email me at (no spaces) anitac @ surewest. net.

Anita

Comments (9)