SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetcicely_gw

Atipical orange orchid - curiosity

sweetcicely
16 years ago

Last year, at an orchid show, an unusual (to me) orange orchid called to me from a back table. There was no tag and the person selling was oblivious. The plant looked good and was cheap, so I bought it.

For many months I kept the plant isolated, trying to get rid of some crawlie things (springtails and something else) in the medium. The plant began to decline from lack of good light in its isolated area. Though I reallly hate to lose, I tired of my war with its bugs and finally dumped it.

Granted, my orchid experience is limited, but I have not (before or since) seen an orchid configured quite like this one and am curious about its identity.

The leaves and flowers looked like Phalaenopsis.

The 5-7 leaves were an even green, about 4.5-6" each, somewhat curved (base to tip), and more horizontal than upright.

The spike was upright (about 8-9" tall) and branched like a Christmas tree or candlabrum with sequentially opening buds along the branches; it was not at all wand-like as in other Phals.

The flowers were orange--not coral or any other combo--they were orange-orange. They had the overlapping sepals/petals of rounded Phals and each was about an inch to 1 1/4 inches across.

Roots in and out of the medium were also freely branching--more than I have seen in any other Phals.

Does this sound familiar? Could someone please hazard a guess as to species or type for this orchid? I'm mightily curious.

Sweetcicely

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer