SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edglover

Problems Starting from Seed

EdGlover
11 years ago

Hi. I'm not new to gardening, but new to this forum. I hope I may get some help on a subject I have been trying to learn which is starting my flower garden and vegetables and herbs from seed indoors early in season (possibly too early). Ill try to keep it simple, but basically, I purchased some seed starter which Is Burpee product designed specifically for seed starting made up of coconut hulls, pearlite, and some other organic stuff. I tried a few different areas of the house and everyone has failed to germanate. I used seeds from various sources, most all recently purchased online, or from local sources. I used earth pods made from some kind of compost material, and also seed starter kit made from styrofoam, and has clear plastic lid. I bought a heating pad for the styrofoam kit, kept it upstairs where we keep the temp around 64 deg. In basement i placed the pods, where its mich cooler at about
50-60, but placed the box on heater and it made the box heat up to anywjere from 60-90 deg while cycling light on and off for 12 hours (used infrared and fluroscent both). some sprouts came up, but died not long after. none came up in the upstairs covered styrofoam kit which had more ideal temp at about 75-80 deg. I even germinated some seed in paper towels which work, but after planting in both nothing ever came up. What am I doing wrong? i thought for sure the one which gets natural light would have worked bettter a d is all the rave. Any suggestions would be great. I tried mostly flowers like hollyhock, black eye susan, some hardy herbs like cilantro, and parsley, and lavender. I did notntry any veggies... cause its too early. Started these in Jan 2013. kep water, and fertilizers at bare minimum. Im lost as to wht it could be.

Comments (7)