SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
counselor4444

Back to the Basics: Growing Phals

counselor4444
14 years ago

So, January will mark the second anniversary that I've been growing phals. (woh!) For some reason recently I've noticed that my phals just don't look as healthy as they used to. Some seem to have yellowing leaves. One had rotting roots. Some leaves just look wrinkly and not very perky. I don't know why all of a sudden I'm having trouble. Maybe I've become lax and have stopped paying attention to the basics. So, what are the essentials?

1. Light (I have recently bought indoor floor lamps with 100W CFL daylight bulbs to help combat low light on my orchids in my apt) I think this is the best I can make it (and it is a huge improvement over the last two years) So check.

2. Humidity: Maybe I've slacked off here. I have very poor humidity in my apt and I think maybe I've done more in the past to try to make artificial humidity (ie: misting the orchid leaves more and filling the humidity trays more often) So, I need to work on this.

3. Watering: I repotted all of my 20 phals in September/October when I found Mealybugs. I used to think that some of the medium on the bottom of the pots were not drying out fast enough compared to the medium on the top of the pots, so I repotted using more bark on the bottom of the pot and more moss towards the top. But now I seem to have slacked off in how to judge when they need to be watered. I need to go back to being better at this. I used to stick my finger all the way in the pot to judge. Now I don't think I do as well of a job.

Anything other ideas of how to return to the basics. I'm sure this will not only benefit me but others as well. TIA!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting