SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redmoss_gw

Comments on my seed starting method? (and where to find h2o2?)

redmoss
17 years ago

Hello all

Last year I tried a seed starting method which was relatively successful compared with my previous attempts. I bought a 5 x 10 slot seed-starting tray with a transparent plastic cover. It came with 50 round compressed peat moss pellets, each contained within a fine-meshed netting. These expanded to around 1.5" tall, 1.5" diameter round "plugs" when soaked in water. I kept this arrangement under some LED grow lights I had bought (good, but expensive). Some seeds sprouted quickly (eg cucumbers... I started them *way* too early), others took longer (eg Impatiens), and others never emerged (eg peppers; the seeds might have been old/bad though). Though this worked relatively well, I did have some kind of mold spreading over some of the "plugs" before I took them outside. I wasn't sure whether this mold caused any problems or not. I also noticed that the seedlings were leggier than I was expecting.

One thing I liked about this method was that the "plugs" had quite a bit of volume for root growth, so transplanting didn't seem necessary for quite a while. I was also able to see when the seedlings were starting to get big enough to need more growing medium, since the roots could be seen poking out of the sides of the "plugs" or spreading along the bottom of the starter tray. Also, all I had to do to transplant was to put the whole "plug" into a hole in the soil; the seedling was already strong enough that I did not need to be particularly delicate.

This year to try to improve my germination rate, I bought a cheap heating pad from Kmart. I'm currently fiddling with the heat setting to try to consistently keep the temperature between 75 and 80 degrees F.

I also ran out of new peat disks, so I had to re-use some of my old ones (once the previous plant dies back, the "plug" is still mostly intact and looks like it should be re-usable). To try to kill off mold and micro-organisms the recycled "plugs" might contain, I first immersed the old "plugs" in 3% hydrogen peroxide. This is the kind you buy at the drug store. Since it supposedly has chemical stabilizers, I only used the h2o2 on the "plugs" I was seeding with ornamental flowers. I think I'm already seeing mold growing, so this might not have worked. I just read in the FAQ about using boiling water for sterilization, so I might try that.

So with all that being said:

Has anyone tried this kind of setup (eg, a seed-starting tray with peat moss "plugs") and compared it to other methods? I just read about the baggy-and-coffee-filter method and wondering how this compares.

Would it be worth it to boil the "plugs" and re-start the seeds, or is the mold harmless?

I heard about using h2o2 to benefit seed sprouting and later plant growth. Does anyone have personal experience with this? Where did you acquire agricultural-grade hydrogen peroxide?

Peat moss doesn't contain any nutrients, right? So would I need to fertilize my seedlings at some point before setting them outside? When/how often/with what?

What would be the best way to sterilize the starter tray? Would bleach harm the tray's plastic or leave any harmful/toxic residue?

Any other comments or observations?

Comments (7)