SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hemnancy

2 seed starting methods & media

hemnancy
15 years ago

I'm doing 2 seed starting methods presently, jiffy peat pots and a mixture of coco fiber and perlite. The peat pots were seeded 1-24 and 1-25.

href="http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n282/Zeph3rin3/?action=view¤t=PeatPots.jpg"; target="_blank">

I started the second group in plastic ziplock bags with wet paper towel, 1-26, then moved them to the pots after they had sprouted, 2-4 to 2-6.

You can see from the photos that the seed leaves of the peat group are much larger, though only theoretically a couple of days earlier in planting, though it may make a difference that the peat was there from the beginning.

What experience have other people had with coco fiber, and what could I add to improve this? I could mix it with peat moss. When the seedlings are a little bigger they will be transplanted into individual pots and some potting soil will be added to the mix. I would think at that point they would equalize.

The main advantage I have observed in the ziplock method is being able to see the seeds sprouting, so in an old batch you can plant just the ones that sprout, or you can replant immediately instead of waiting 2-3 weeks to see if anything comes up. I was amazed to see some old Marvel Stripe seeds sprout, even though black in color, since the first time I tried to grow them when newly purchased, I got no plants to germinate at all. So I finally hope to get to see how marvelous they are.:-)

Nancy

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz