SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luvdemfeeders

Ever tried using an oxygen cylinder to oxygenate your pond?

luvdemfeeders
16 years ago

Has anybody ever tried oxygenating their pond water using a cylinder of oxygen (as in welding oxygen?) I'm a pond loving welder and when the temperature climbs in the pond during the dog days of summer, I worry about our goldfishes oxygen needs. I've been dreaming up a way to keep the oxygen levels high even when the air temperature is in the nineties, but before I make my fish sick or worse I would like to hear the forum's opinion:

A.Has anybody tried this before?

B.What is the group's general opinion: would this work,

or why do you think it wouldn't?

C.Do you see any dangers to the fish if any?

Oxygen cylinders cost about $8 - $10 for the contents and about $6 - $8 per month to rent. I had planned on using a $70 regulator (steps down the high pressure down to low pressure and allows you to regulate the pressure going to the pond.) A hose and a healthy airstone would complete the "system". Welding oxygen is 99.99% pure and has to be free of oil or contaminants for use in welding applications. Industrial oxygen (welding oxygen) is what you see at the fish stores when they pump up the fish bag. I would just have the O2 air stone bubbling away during hot weather 24 hours a day and hopefully have well oxygenated water and fish.

PS: Just in case anybody tries this, PLEASE PLEASE, make sure your oxygen tank is securely fastened upright so that it can NOT fall over - take it from a welder, if the cylinder was to fall over while you where using it and damaged the brass valve, it will become like a missle and can maim and kill. People have witnessed cylinders being propelled 100s of yards and effortlessly piercing concrete walls. (I don't want any fellow pond lovers hurt because of my crazy ideas) If you use oxygen, read some about it to protect yourself, your family, and your neighbors to understand all of it's unique dangers, like it's ability to rapidly accelerate combustion.

Comments (5)