SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazytbone

New orchids. Help me not kill them.

12 years ago

I've wanted to grow orchids for quite some time. I could just never bring myself to pay $15-$20 for one. (I'm a teacher. Money isn't exactly in abundant supply :)

Well, today was my lucky day! On the clearance rack of a big box store (not sure if it's kosher to say, but it rhymes with "Bows") I found some beautiful plants marked $1!!!!!

I got 2.

{{gwi:207486}}

{{gwi:207487}}

This isn't my first try at orchids. I had this little one for about a year. It did NOTHING. No new growth. No nothing. Then it suddenly turned black and died.

{{gwi:154061}}

I don't want to kill these new ones. I'm pretty confused and intimidated by orchids. The first one is labeled "Dendrobium Orchid" and the second is simply labeled "Orchids". Here's a close look at their soil. Looks like all moss to me. It's currently somewhat damp.

{{gwi:207488}}

The pots have no drainage holes and are plastic. From my experience with plants (which I would say is moderate. I'm a disciple of Al and his Gritty Mix) I think that these orchids are not in good conditions for survival. I also don't want to panic and do too much and stress them to death.

How do I not kill them? I have a bag of orchid bark in the basement. The chunks of bark are pretty big. Should I mix some of the moss with the bark?

Thank you in advance :)

Crazytbone

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus