SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolinamary_gw

Varieties good for naturalizing on deciduous woods edge

carolinamary
14 years ago

Hello folks,

I am thinking of trying some roses on the northern edge of a deciduous woods area. I know how tricky this might be, but have the impression from some lookups at Rogue Valley that it might well be possible if, say, albas were chosen.

With the leaves off the trees, the location would get maybe 80% sun in the winter and very early spring when buds were forming on a once-bloomer. If the variety didn't wait around too very long for those buds to open, theoretically it ought to do all right? We had some naturalized multifloras found not far from this location. They managed to prosper without any more light than this location, and they did bloom some on the tops of the plants. (We removed those out of concern for a potential for rosette disease, so they're gone now, but they grew and spread there for more than 30 years, enduring our droughts without a drop of water.)

I'm hoping for blooming, of course, but just having a rose screen in the location (a long strip next to a busy road) would be nice. I think I did read that the banksias tend to be evergreen where they survive and that is a huge plus for that variety.

We're in the piedmont of North Carolina. We often do get a night or two or three down into the mid-teens here, but it has been almost 30 years since we've officially gotten anything very worrisome below 10 degrees. It also happens that this location is near a busy road where the temperatures are attenuated somewhat in the early morning by the traffic and the pavement, and there's an incline for the coldest air to roll down. This winter has been abnormal in the amount of sustained cold, but still nothing lower officially than 13 degrees, and likely not that low in our own spot; we had a Grs An Aachen open a bloom after that low night! So I'm thinking that trying something that is officially iffy here in zone 7 (outskirts of Charlotte) will probably work out okay. Our two new tea roses (General Schablikine and Mrs. Dudley Cross) planted this fall appear to have done fine this winter, so far, and in fact still have all their leaves on and are looking wonderful.

Ideally, the roses planted there for naturalizing ought to be ramblers, climbers, or at least very large, vigorous roses. It's less important to have reblooms than to have few thorns and an evergreen quality would be highly, highly desirable. Color doesn't matter. Fragrance would be desirable but not essential.

Factoring in the degree of shade tolerance for later in the season is the big catch. It's pretty shady there, though some small amount of direct sun does dapple through in the months after the trees get their leaves. So it's not the darkest of deep shade--not as shady as the north wall of a house with no dappled direct sun might be, I might suppose, except that more sun might get to a north wall from the easterly and westerly directions in June and July if the yard doesn't have tall trees. Anyway, I'd guess that no more than maybe an hour of direct sun dappling would be available to whatever is planted in this spot once the leaves on the trees get to any noticeable size.

In this particular spot there's a good bit of low scrubby woods growth, nothing directly overhead that's huge. I was thinking that the roses could climb around over the low stuff as well as a nearby dogwood tree or two.

Here are some of the varieties I've thought about thus far:

Alba Maxima

Alba Semi-Plena

Fortuniana

Lady Banks white (banksia banksia)

Lady Banks yellow (banksia lutea)

banksia Lutescens

Purezza

à Feuilles de Chanvre

Mme. Plantier

I have no idea exactly when these once-bloomers bloom, as compared to the point when their direct sun in this spot will start to get noticeably short (first of May). Though since any area can have a few weeks of cloudy rainy weather and roses do still grow and bloom, I'd suppose that unless these varieties are really late bloomers they could get by and would have at least a few blooms.

Any comments on any of these or any suggestions on others to consider? Thanks for your thoughts!

Best wishes,

Mary

Comments (16)