SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ddeuerme

Another newbie: Pond planning

ddeuerme
9 years ago

I have a contractor redoing my entire landscaping, including adding a small pond. I've spent hours on the internet trying to learn everything I can about ponds to make sure the pond is installed in a way that I can enjoy it instead of constantly fighting it.

I'm in the western suburbs of Portland, OR. Zone 8. The pond will be about 5 feet in diameter with steep sides and 3 feet deep. The steep sides and depth are on recommendation from local pond shops to protect the fish from predators. I plan to have a few goldfish - most likely shubunkins and comets.

I've asked my landscape designer to add a shallow area, probably 18 inches deep to make it the pond look more natural and to give me an area for plants the prefer shallower water.

It will be in a sunny location. I read the recommendations about using plants to create shade to try to control algae.

I will have a 1500 GPH biofilter and a waterfall.

I still have a few questions:

The landscaper is planning to run an extension cord through a conduit under the new patio to plug in the biofilter/waterfall. Will I be better off having an electrician run a conduit? The pond will be about 10 feet from the nearest electrical outlet on the back of the house. I'll have a patio between the outlet and the pond.

I don't have plans to have a skimmer installed. The pond isn't under any trees. Will I regret not having a skimmer? If I decide later that a skimmer is a "must have," will I be able to install one without too much difficulty later? My yard isn't large, so I'd rather not take up the extra space if I don't have to.

I'm not having a UV light installed right now. From everything I've seen/heard it isn't difficult to add one later. This goes back to my potential need for an electrical conduit. Is it likely I'll want a UV light? It also looks like the light would only be turned on for a couple of weeks at a time. When not in use, do you remove the light fixture entirely and store it, or is that impractical to do?

What else do I need to think about? I'm trying to cover all of my bases now, before everything is installed.

Thank you for any advice!
Deanne

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert