SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
latinasoul

Semi-Newbie Making a hypertufa pond, help asap, please!

latinasoul
9 years ago

Hi, I was given a rigid pond liner and would like to use the smaller outer shape as a mold to make my 'tufa pond. I will flip it upside down (with insulation foam board on inside so it doesn't cave in), and use my mix of portland, peat moss, perlite, and sand. In effort to save myself time and to keep my tufa from drying, I've molded chicken wire (for added strength), so it will slip on once I have a first coat of the tufa, then add the rest on top, and follow curing procedures. My questions are the following:
1) The smaller well of the pond I'm using measures (at the widest/longest points-outer measurements), 24" x 46" x 11" high. Do you have an idea or rough estimate of how much mix to make to ensure I don't run out before I'm done?
2) I plan on putting a construction trash bag in a bin and put my tufa in there once I've mixed it so it won't dry too fast while I work, does this make sense or am I just kidding myself?
3) On a project this big, more or less when can I flip it to remove the mold (rigid pond liner) out and work it?
4) After I have worked my un-molded pond (2/3 days, and cured my pond (3/4 weeks), can I then brush/roll on a water sealant such as dry lock, or is there something better for this?
*I would like it to be a clear sealant so that it keeps it's rustic charm.
**I am not planning on having fish in it but want it to be safe for them should I decide to add them at some point.
Thank you for your time and any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)