SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_in_ct

Newbie with New Pond Questions

chris_in_ct
15 years ago

Hi All,

Looking for some advice. I am planning a first pond, which will be about 2ft deep fed by a 60 foot stream, topped with a waterfall. Total volume is just under 2500 gallons. Total rise is 6ft to waterfall (I calculate total lift to be 12ft). I am looking for suggestions on the mechanicals. I am planning on a bottom drain, with a Sequence pump model 6100SEQ23. Any recommendations/comments on this particular pump or another alternative?

Also, I am trying to determine whether a purchased bio/mech filter or a DIY is the way to go. Any recommendations on either? This pond will contain a few fish, plants and an underwater camera, so I want to ensure the water remains very clear. Any comments on whether a skimmer would be required and if so, how does that get connected?

Finally, it would be convenient for my layout to have the bottom drain connect to a pre-filter, then pump with a very short connection, meaning, near the pond. Can the bio-filter be right there as well, so that the output of the filter gets pushed the 60ft back up the hill to the top of the waterfall? Or do the pump and filter have to be physically located near the top of the hill near the waterfall?

Sorry for the simple questions! I've researched and haven't found clear cut answers.

Thanks!

-Chris

Comments (6)