SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growitnow

What size transplant pot?? (Platycodon/ balloon flower)

growitnow
18 years ago

Hello,

I have asked a bunch of recent questions here because I am setting up to germinate and grow Platycodon 'Sentimental Blue' from seed inside.

After germination (I am using the BioDome and sponges), I will place the seedlings under flourescent lights (4x40-W), still within the germination tray with sponges for 2 or so weeks. I will then transplant to seedling containers with Miracle Grow potting mix, and maintain in those pots for about 2 months until ready to bring outside.

How big should my seedling pots be? I have found some small square plastic pots, not yet purchased, with sizes as follows: (a) 3.5' x 3.5' (b) 3.5' x 5', (c) 4' x 5', and (d) 4' x 6'

I wish to leave the seedlings in their transplant pots until they go outside, but do not know about the root growth of this plant (several here and sources say the roots are very sensitive, with long tap root). If I use the deeper pots as above, can I still bottom water with these? Or would I need even larger seedling pots than those indicated?

After intial transplant to seeling pots, the seedlings will remain inside for at least 2 months under the lights. I plan on 1-2 plant per pot.

Thanks,

growitnow

zone7, Virgnia

Comments (8)