SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcjcjcx

What kind of frogs to add and from where?

jcjcjcx
16 years ago

My husband thought it would be really cool to add some frogs. I don't want to add bullfrogs or frogs that 'sing' at night. It wouldn't bother me, but I don't want neighbours to complain (we live in the suburbs where the houses are very close to each other with small backyards) .

Build and they will come.... true for the many mayflies, dragonflies, 1 water strider that appeared for a short time last year, tons of birds, and lots of squirrels. But its my third season now, and I haven't had any frogs visit, which is no surprise as there isn't any around probably for miles, unless they can cross some major highways and many busy streets.

So looks like I'll have to buy one. I haven't seen any at the pond shops, so I guess this is something I'd have to go to a pet store for? And can they surivive outside? What type should I get?

At my mother's cottage up north,you can find green frogs, probably this would be okay, but would it survive in my pond at home?

I haven't seen tadpoles in the lake, but even if I did I'd be afraid that I'd be bringing back the kind that grow into bull frogs.

I don't know much about frogs, so I'm wondering what they eat? Would they eat the small-fry in my pond or do they just eat bugs and algae? How do they over-winter? Any info would be appreciated.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor