SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renee48111

Hundreds of baby fish need homes.

renee48111
14 years ago

Hi everyone! My first post in almost a year. The new pond is finally almost done and everything worked out great including the Hayward pool filter that I was warned not to use. I took a chance using it and the water has been clean and clear. We took the sand out and replaced it with bio beads. But on to my reason for posting...I had no idea that this many fry would survive and thrive in this pond.

Last summer I put in 3 common goldfish from another little pond I had at my lake house and purchased 2 shubunkins, and 10 small Koi. The pond is 3000 gallons and 4 feet deep on one end. This spring I started seeing babies and now I see that there are several different sizes of babies, meaning these are not from the first batch.

I got in the pond to move some plants and all of the sudden I feel fish biting my legs and feet...I look down and there are at least 50 babies on each leg nibbling on my skin. My boyfriend said that they are biting at dry skin.....very strange. If I kicked them off, they would come right back.

After being in the pond a good 20 minutes I saw hundreds of babies. And they need to GO! The Koi are not big enough (guessing) to keep the population down.

They are all different. Some look like my shubunkins and some like the Comets. I have no idea on how you tell the difference. Does anyone know how to tell them apart?

If anyone in Michigan, (I am downriver) would like free fish, please, please come and get them! I also would like to find a home for the (3) 2 year old goldfish. One is solid orange about 6" , one is dark brownish olive colored 5" and one is white with sort of a fantail 7" with a little orange on its back. I noticed that they are still at it! More babies very soon.

I can send photos.

I considered Craigslist but was told some people will come get them for feeder fish and not tell you :( I can't stand the thought of someone sticking a hook through their little bodies.

I hope someone wants them. Thanks! Renee

{{gwi:208567}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor