SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdrums55

Trials and Tribulations of an inherited pond [long]

timbersmith
14 years ago

Well, here we go. I've finally managed to get some pictures together of the pond that I inherited last fall (That I've asked questions about a couple times already), so feel free to go ahead and tell me if I'm doing things right since all I really know about ponds are what I've read on here, on the newsgroups, and in books. At the least I've made things better for all involved, but I do think that the hard part is behind me - unless I feel like ripping it out and re-doing it a bit differently (which I have been thinking about - who said that ponding is an addiction?)

Specs: 8 to 10' diameter irregular circle, 3' deep, with a 6 to 8' stream and no bottom drain, a 6" skimmer on one side, and a *huge* biofalls box on the other. Pump is a 1950GPH submersible, piped to the biofalls with 2" piping. I don't know who makes the biofalls, but it's got a 15" weir, 2 16" x 18" x 1.5" filter mats, and 2 bags of lava rock (to be replaced with something better as I get to it). I calculate the amount of water to be around 850 gallons for everything, and it is home to (at last count) 51 goldfish. This sounds like a slightly overcrowded situation (hence no predator controls aside from the fish safe houses), but then again ammonia and nitrites have always been 0 - even when I first got the pond and it had a 9 or 10" koi along with the goldfish (lost the koi in early spring to a suspected bacterial infection).

So without further adieu, some pics:

These first 2 pics show what the pond looked like when I first moved in. Hopefully this'll give an idea of what has been done over the past couple months (the bulk of the work completed over Memorial Day weekend).

{{gwi:208482}}

{{gwi:208483}}

These next two pics show what a mess the bottom of the pond was when I started on the intensive cleanout. At this point, the pond was 2' at the deepest point - what you really can't tell here is that there was almost 12" of rocks and gravel and muck and roots and overgrown plants on the bottom of this pond. A huge, ugly, nasty, mess.

{{gwi:208484}}

{{gwi:208485}}

Here we are - the pond has been cleaned out, rocks put back into position (I chose to line the sides of the pond and leave the bottom clear). You can also see 2 of the 3 safe houses that I've made for the fish - the large piece of flagstone in the front, and the smaller flat piece of limestone behind it.

{{gwi:208486}}

Here's the mountain of muck that I dredged out of the bottom of this pond. This doesn't show the mounds of gravel, or the rocks that kept appearing even though I thought I had found all of 'em beforehand. Those pots in the background are 12" and 14" clay pots, so maybe that gives an idea of how big this mountain actually is.

{{gwi:208487}}

On the home stretch - the pond has been filled back in, the fish and plants added, the water flowing and filters working, all that was left at this point was some small rock work around the outside edge of the pond (not visible in this pic). You can also see the 3rd fish safe house underneath the large flat rock on the patio. The large rock, BTW, came out of the stream - right where the plants are now located (I re-did the right side of the stream to try and add a small veggie filter deal). On the left you can see the largest addition that I've made to the pond - the lotus bog. The lotus bog is fed water from a 1/2" tube hidden in the stream. It then drains into the smaller bog section in front which contains a red bog lily, and then the water drains back into the pond.

{{gwi:182989}}

The next 4 pics were taken this morning showing what the pond looks like after all the work that has been done. I still have some small rock work to do in the front (to hide the valve), but most everything has been finished. The lotus bog now has some chicken wire covering it cause I was having problems with raccoons digging in it and muddying up the whole works.

{{gwi:208488}}

{{gwi:208489}}

{{gwi:208490}}

{{gwi:208491}}

So that's where everything stands at the moment. I'm now in the "minor upkeep" phase of keeping the lilys trimmed, vac'ing up any dirt/rocks that find their way in, making sure that no fish have fallen into the skimmer, andfinally just enjoying it. I also wasn't aiming for any natural look or anything like that - just a hole in the ground lined with rocks and filled with water, plants, and fish works for me at the moment.

The pond is currently planted with:

Acorus Calamus - Variegated Sweet Flag (From previous owners)

2 different species of Saggitaria (I think Latifolia and one other. From previous owners)

Red-stemmed parrot's feather (From previous owners)

Bacopa Monneri (My addition. Seeing which one I like better to cover the edges of the baskets)

5 lilies (one unknown yellow, 2 unknown white, 2 Madame Wilfromme Gonnere pink. All from previous owners)

Angel Wings lotus (My addition)

Crinum Americanum 'menehune' - Red bog Lily (My addition)

Watercress (My addition)

Variegated Water Celery (My addition)

Irises (1 "Snow Drift" white, 1 "Ann Chowning" red, 2 "Black Gamecock" black. All my addition)

Cardinal Flower (My addition)

Water Hyacinth (In biofalls and veggie filter section. My addition)

Corkscrew Vallisneria (My addition)

Cabomba (My addition - note to others, this does not like moving water. Breaks off at soil line awfully easily)

Echinodorus Ozelot aka Ozelot Sword (My addition)

I've probably got too many lilies - especially since the latest pads on the larger pink one are 7 or 8" long, but I will be getting rid of the yellow one at some point. It doesn't mesh with the intended color scheme (shades of red and white).

- Mike

(Told ya it was a long post!)

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics of the pond

Comments (12)