SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucretia1_gw

When do you say 'It's Spring!'?

lucretia1
15 years ago

Having lived most of my life in Florida, I'm used to subtle changes of seasons. Yes, there are seasons in Florida, in spite of all the complaints that there are none (falls under the category of "if you don't like it, move, but I digress...) So this time of year in the PNW, when the witch hazels are just starting to crack open buds and show that first tiny hint of vibrant yellow, the crocuses and daffodils are starting to push tentatively through the mulch, the hardy cyclamen are sending up buds, and the buds on trees and bushes are starting to swell ever so slightly (and Chloris is putting out new leaves--silly Alba!), the dead nettle and other weeds are coming to life, the weather is in an uproar of change and the air smells of living things instead of cold stillness, I get excited and say "Spring is here!" Yes, alot more snow and freezing weather is on the way, but things are starting to change, and spring is an unsettled time of year. Yet if I mention that spring is on the way, I'm met with incredulous looks and snorts of derision.

Does anyone else feel it? Or does it only count as spring when all the bulbs are blooming and all the trees are leafing out?

Comments (26)