SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
springchickensoup

Be Honest (Version 2)

springchickensoup
18 years ago

Be Honest -- How Many Will Survive?

Posted by springchickensoup z4 MN (My Page) on Sun, Feb 19, 06 at 0:27

I have thinned out my seedlings and even have some in individual pots. How many can I really expect to survive? Out of the blue one of my snapdragons dropped dead. Do you pros ever have this happen to you?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Be Honest -- How Many Will Survive?

Posted by: calistoga USDA 9 Ca 15 (My Page) on Sun, Feb 19, 06 at 10:25

The survival rate is often dependent on the species being grown. Some seedlings you can hardly keep alive while others you can't kill. To have an occasional seedling after being transplanted drop dead in the next few days should not be cause for alarm. Even the most careful transplanting is a shock to the plant and to have some losses is normal. Al

Posted by: springchickensoup z4 MN (My Page) on Sun, Feb 19, 06 at 14:18

You know, I've seen you in many threads and I believe you should be writing a book! How come I can't find information like this in the books that are out there.

I just started this seed stuff this year and threw myself into it completely. I've read so many books and yet they do not mention half of what I have learned on this forum! I think the authors all read each others books and then write a new book based on what they've read. On this forum I find things that seem so "Yea! that really sounds like a practical solution!"

I had no idea when I began this that some seeds and seedlings are really like newborn babies -- they need a LOT more care than I dreamed of!

Now that I know this to be a fact (what you said Al) I know that I shouldn't worry if some types of seedlings are just more sensitive than others. My newbie thought was: "If you plant it, it will grow." -- Maybe, but it might not live!

Posted by: jeanniez5 z5IA (My Page) on Sun, Feb 19, 06 at 14:32

I used to have trouble with my transplants living until I started soaking the little six packs in a pan of water after I had installed the seedlings. I learned this by watching a greenhouse employee transplanting. She said just sprinkling the soil well is not good enough, it doesn't get to the roots. She always sows seeds into damp soil and plants seedlings in dry soil. It is so much easier using a little dowel to make a hole in the soil to stick the transplant into when the soil is dry. And don't forget a fan. I am sold on using a fan for little transplants.

Jean

That is great info on the wet vs. dry soil. I will definitely try that.

I agree with the fan! I have been using a fan since they emerge. (That is something barely mentioned in all the books I've been reading, but seems well-known on this forum!)

Sorry about this, but it wouldn't let me post to the other thread -- newbie.

Comment (1)