SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llbean_gw

seed/under lights question need help

17 years ago

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to read this post. Recently I purchased some indoor growing lights and a mat to start some seeds in my basement. I like most am on a limited budget and want some "mass" plantings of some things like Lavendar, maybe salvia and a few others. I have read a few other forums and I have read WS and such, but I like the indoor thing.. It gives me some satisfaction for winter blues to see my plants grow..

Now for the question.. These plants that I want to have MASS plantings of such as the salvia, lavendar and nicotinia are super small seeds.. my heat mat which I need due to the chilly basement can hold two flats, do I seriously need to take and put one seed in each little jiffy pot? Or can I do something like the WS forum and just put some seeds in a container and let them sprout?

THe reason that I ask is becuase I started some Lavendar here not to long ago, well they germinated and little tiny sprouts came up everywhere in a cut Milk jug that I convered with a plastic baggie and out under the lights and on the mat, well I had tons of little sprouts. So out of these tiny sprouts what do I do next? Do I wait until they all have true leaves and then put them into individual pots? to sprout over 100 seeds to see what germinates in Jiffy pots seems expensive and wasteful, but as I look at all these sprouts in the containers when do I move them? Or am I doing it all wrong?

Help..

My goal is to have say 40 plants of lavender to line a short walkway, I am also trying salvia.. It is the purple color that I want so which ever will produce the most plants for the buck is what I will use and I will give the others away.. This is part of my summer projects and I am like I said on a budget so I figure seeds is the easiest way. I priced small plants and it would run even for 2.5 pots 1.50 each or more plus shipping. I just can't budget this this year. So what is it that I need to do to be successful? I saw someone growing lettuce in another post in what appeared to be a plastic container, it looked like there were no divisions in the container, so can I do this with these plants too? The lettuce looked so robust, and the things that I want to grow, look so puney as they shoot up this tiny shoot with tiny leaves.. AHH help please..

Laura

Beans

Comments (7)