SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

cost of roses

User
10 years ago

In the UK, and all of Europe, for that matter, roses are always grafted. Although they are mainly sold as bare root specimens in Autumn, through to March, they are also sold as containerised roses which are essentially bare roots potted up - something of a con if you buy these container roses during bare root season as the soil will generally fall away from the potted rose - it is not kept in a nursery until roots have grown. The prices vary between the cheapest field grown bare roots, which can be as low as 5pounds (or around 8 dollars).....up to16pounds (Austins) - say 26dollars. I usually pay 9pounds for mine. Even box store roses come in at around 8pounds.
For this, we do get a 2 year old rose.

If I was to buy a band (or rooted cutting), I would expect to pay no more than 4 pounds, given the size of the rose and ease of propagation. How do they compare to bare root roses in price?

How does this compare to the US? As a comparison, common perennials will be available between 4 - 8 pounds for a 3litre (or 6inch) pot.

There are NO nurseries selling own roots in Europe and I seriously thought I could generate some extra money by selling such -I have done many cuttings and they require nothing in the way of artificial heat and light and take up minimal space. I just wondered what your expectations were, in terms of price (especially in relation to size). I cannot imagine carriage costs being different to bare-roots in terms of weight - I expect to pay around 2-3 pounds (4-5 dollars) per rose.

Comments (37)