SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelajgood

Small pond vacuum

14 years ago

Now for my next question. I really don't want to use a shop vac. I used one last year and it sucks out so much water so fast that I felt like I was getting more water than gunk. I have such a small pond that I think it is overkill. I also hate the noise! It is like when I am having a wonderful, tranquil time puttering in the yard with my plants and my husband comes along with his power lawn equipment. It just ruins it for me. So I don't mind more/longer work, I just don't want to get something that is not going to do the job. I'll use a shop vac if that is what it takes but want to avoid it if possible. I am also paranoid about sucking up some of my smaller fish in the shop vac, and worry about the whole thing stressing out my fish, especially in such a small pond. There can't go very far to get away from things.

I am surrounded by oak trees so I have alot of oak trash. Up until a couple of days ago my water was the clearest it has ever been, but I knew that nastiness was lurking on the bottom and I have put it off as long as I can. Now I have it all stirred up with raking the bottom with a net, but that only goes so far. I also have 'mud' down there that needs to come out. I'm also researching an external filter and pre-filter and am going to set those up today or when I can finally get all the components together. Something simple but more effective than the pitiful filter that is attached to the pump. I think I may also need eco-floc or whatever that stuff is called to bind some of this gunk. I'm going to go slow and see what works.

Has anyone tried those suction vacuums and found them to be any good, and if so, what brand? They aren't very expensive (another plus) and look easy enough to use in a small pond.

Thanks in advance!

Angela

Comments (6)