SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kennym_2010

Am I on the right track about pond vacuums?

kennym_2010
10 years ago

I'm very new to watergardens (installed new pond and stream last fall). I have read numerous post about the subject of pond vacuums. Most posts I have found were 2-8 years old. None seemed to fit my situation real well. So I'm hoping to get some clarification from the experienced ones here if I can.
Concerning pond vacuums, most all I've seen was about heavy (years build up?) muck. My approach upon installation was to put a filtered skimmer and filter fall in. Both are twice the recommended size for my pond. The cleaning I'm seeing this spring is just a thin coating on bottom that (most of it anyway) can be stirred up, clouding the water. I just want to vacuum that "silt" (I guess it's called). I'm thinking if I do this once or twice a years I won't have a thick muck problem. Am I correct in my approach?

If I am correct, then my question is: what type vacuum do you think would do the job in 1-2 hours? There are so many vacuums on the market, everyone says theirs is the best. My thoughts are why spend $300-$400, when $100-$200 will do what I need? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, type of thing.

My pond
My pond is approximate 12 ft x 8 ft x 3 ft max depth.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH