SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zone6_nj

Questions of grafted roses and forcing flowers?

zone6-nj
10 years ago

Hello!

Hope all is well with everyone. I have a few questions:

1. I placed an order for grafted austins from DA himself, and some from Hortico, and was wondering - do I plant the graft a few inches below the soil in March/April when I receive them and put them in the ground? I read somewhere that exposing the graft will give the plant more vigor, and this summer I am having a big party in my backyard and (although I know it's probably not possible in their first summer) I want them all to look relatively nice by July. I probably shouldn't take the chance though, given I am in zone 6A and might lose them without burying them. How do grafted austins do in your first year of planting grafted? (relatively speaking - I know each variety differs) Do you find burying the graft slows the vigor? I planted Brother Cadfael last summer grafted right next to an own root lady of shallott, and LoS put BC to shame. Bloomed almost constantly, got so nice and bushy, while BC has 4 long sticks that grew probably 4 feet and produced a few decent flowers (nothing crazy). Your advice would be appreciated!

2. I know this sounds wrong, but speaking of the party I am having in July, I would like to probably get some flowers on each bush around the time of the party, is there a way to maybe pinch of buds or something to get the plant to "stall" flowering until the party? I don't know how to ask this without seeming dumb! I just kind of want the bushes to produce flowers around the time of the party, probably not possible but thought it was worth the shot asking! haha

Have a great day everyone, and those on the east coast be warm! It's freezing.

Drew

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH