SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bart_2010

Is a pond possible without a pump???

bart_2010
9 years ago

Hello, everyone. I am thinking of making my first pond,but am not sure it will be possible. My garden is far from my home,in a woodland. There is no electricity or running water available.
The idea of making a pond came to me over this very rainy winter, when I observed many, many gallons of rain water running down the road into my garden,eroding as it went. I thought that, instead of letting all that wonderful water go to "waste",I could build a pond at the bottom of the sharpest part of the slope, thus obtaining two big benefits: 1) collecting precious water and 2)preventing erosion. My idea would be that ,in these years whilst my garden is still very young, I could use the collected water for irrigation, in a pinch,but in the future, when my plants are mature enough to be less in need of artificial irrigation,the pond could become a decorative feature. However, reading on Internet about the subject, I've become rather confused. Is it, or is it not, necessary to have some kind of pump in order to maintain a pleasing, non-stinky pond? I gather that solar pumps are not very efficient...thanks for your help in advance. regards, bart

Comments (12)