SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleepydrj

Major Pruining of climbing Cecile Brunner: how severe?

sleepydrj
16 years ago

I planted a climbing Cecile B 16 years ago next to my kitchen window. I let it go, and go and go. Last year we remodeled. Now the rose is directly in front of the new window. The thing has not been treated well, but has given a reliable whoosh of pink happiness each year with no complaints. I would NEVER want to harm the bush, but now it's time to redirect the growth. It hasn't even had a proper trellis or anything. As for shape, it's mostly thick and tree-like at the bottom (doesn't do new canes from the base), and then a big mass of branches/leaves, and then from those, big shooting canes reaching for the sky. To compound the problem, the last couple years, when I've thought about reshaping it, I'd notice a bird nest and have to give up.

We are thinking of building an arch to let it crawl across the driveway in a proper way. Otherwise, it just shoots that direction, flops and makes its own arch each year...

So my questions are: How far back can I cut this established monster in order to head it to better new directions? Can I safely cut through 1"plus branches? Is it past the time where it could shoot new basal canes? Also, how much shock would it suffer if I really agressively thin out the nasty ball of vegetation that is now my main kitchen view? The standard "no more than 1/3" is not going to fly, unless it poses complete peril..

My main goal is to help it turn around and be the beauty it should be, rather than a monster. I wouldn't want to risk losing it!

Comments (3)