SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggery_gw

Mating ponds....lots of ?'s

diggery
14 years ago

Hello, fellow ponders. Veteran lurker here, been gleaning from you wonderful folks for almost 2 yrs now. I am wow'd at the expertise here and your willingness to share both your triumphs & your disasters. When I grow up I want to be just like you! *chuckle*

I started my adventure w/a lil 90 gal kidney shaped preformed pond 4 yrs ago and immediately succumbed to pond fever. It's contagious (as you well know) and hubs wasn't far behind much to my surprise & delight. We had big plans but unfortunately, I had to nix the backhoe I had scheduled this past fall due to....um, the economy =[

In the meantime dd bought a house & grudgingly removed an existing pond (safety concerns - 2 lil ones in diapers). Andddd...hubs snagged it. We mapped out where it would go & I even bought some plants while they're still available here, and tucked them in a holding tank temporarily. THEN...

Got home from work to discover hubs had a 'better idea' WHICH, btw, he had already implemented. I will add here that I am a planner; hubs flies by the seat of his pants. Sooo...I am rapidly approaching panic mode :0. I need your calming influence & advice here.

As I said, my existing pond is 90 gals. There is now an adjacent 125 gal pond w/a 25 gal mini-pond w/a lip feeding into that. I thought, ok...w/a lil creative planting, it will look like one body of water. Uh-uh *sigh* Hubs has a 'vision'.

He sees the two ponds connected by a waterfall (designed & built by yours truly). The 'new' pond is only approx 10" above the old pond (haven't actually measured-it's raining) and he's only left me about 2'(linear) to work with. Oh! Forgot to mention...I had just finished a skippy for the new pond which needs to be incorporated into the mix somewhere.

Two questions to start...Is this even do-able??? And what size pump do I need? The only pump I have now is the one that came w/the 125 gal pond kit. Mine had recently bit the dust & we were using it in the 90 gal pond. The linear distance from pond to skippy will be 10-11' plus 3' or so vertical considering the submerged pump on blocks & the height of the 25 gal mini-pond.

Please be gentle, lol. I dove in head first here at the risk of sounding like a blubbering idiot. But I can't think when in panic mode & hubs is pressuring me to get this job done. If I'd had 2 wks notice to research hubs 'better idea' I'd be fine, butttt...

Trusting you guys to provide at least a semblance of calm here. No pressure - but if ya don't help I'm going to strangle dear helpful hubs, lol. Bless his heart. Trying hard not to hurt his feelings here.

Any advice is welcome. Or just point me to an existing thread. I've done every search imaginable in the last 48 hrs but I confess I'm suffering from information overload. Thanks in advance for your help. And for listening to the poorly disguised vent..

~digger

Comments (13)