SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spiced_ham

'Tis the season

spiced_ham
16 years ago

Phals are spiking and the inevitable problem of funky facing flowers and twisting spikes is upon us. How do growers get those nice cascades you see in pictures? Well, some just stake the spike half way up and let the spike bend under its own weight, others trian the spike bonzai style to do what they want.

You can make a phal spike turn 180 degrees to form a perfect cascade and keep it out of your lights etc.

Here is how:

The front of the spike slowly hardens off and can be bent and held in place until it hardens completely. The unhardened first several inches will snap easily, so you want to work with the first hard area, the area that you think will not bend. If you slowly and repeatendly apply pressure the water pressure inside will decrease and the plant fibers will relax enough to bend quite a bit before kinking.

You can do this with wire ties, but it is much better to use strips of panty hose initially. When the first buds develop, put your wire (large ceiling panel hanger wire into the pot next to the base of the spike and tie off the base of the spike securely. Tie off the spike at several places above that and then bend the wire over a couple of inches below the first bud.

You want the first bud to be about 2 inches down the descending slope of the wire. Just at the point the open flower will hide the bend. Tie off the spike every inch as you go over the bend. Apply firm pressue to the spike as you tie it off with the panty hose but do not try to get the spike next to the wire at first. Come back about 15 minutes later and retighten the pantyhose. After a while you should be able to get a 90 degree bend in the spike on the first day. For older areas of stem you may have to retighten the pantyhose the next day to pull it tight against the wire. A couple of days later the spike will have grown out more and you can tie off the next few inches. Continue down the wire as the buds form.

The growing tip should grow straight towards the light source. That is where the flowers will face when they open. If the spike and buds start to twist, such that a bud forms on the top side of the spike instead of laterally, turn the plant to compensate and see if you can tie the spike off in such a way to twist the bud back to the side. You can train the soft region between buds by tieing the strip or wire very loosly against the wire. If you tie it tight like you do the hard part of stem you will screw it up because before it hardens off the stem is still elongating. You don't want anything tight enough to stop the elongation process.

By working up the wire from the old part of the stem you will get the hang of softening the spike with pressure. By tieing the spike off every inch or less over the bend you reduce the possibility of kinking the stem. Do not try to do more than a 90 degree bend over the hump the first day no matter how good you think the process is working. after seveal days the spike will reharden and you can take most of the ties off and trade out panty hose for green wire. If you do get a kink, pressure the stem above it more slowly until you can get that kinked section tight against the wire, and then bind the area for the duration. This usualy saves the spike.

How open should the bend be to prevent kinking? About the diameter of a coffee mug for about 90+45 degrees of the 180 degree bend, and then lightly bend the rest of the wire so it looks like a naturally bowed spike. Some of the ceiling hanger wire comes prebent, and ou need to open that up a little.

AOS judges do not like to see trained cascades, but since getting an award for a pink or white Phal is like finding hens teeth in a hay stack, do what you want.

Comments (17)

• jane__ny
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Funny you wrote about this. I just spent yesterday afternoon tieing my Phal spikes. I become obsessive with the spikes. I ignore these plants all year until they spike. Then I get crazy. I want perfect flowers.

Lights are the worse. I move them away from lights and face the window. I stick a tag on the opposite side of the pot so the pot always faces the window the same way. I start with short stakes and gradually increase the length with the spike. I use soft yarn until the spike is ready to flower and then tape it. Double spikes are tricky because you want to treat them individually and grow straight up so they branch evenly.

Phals are not my favorite orchid, but treating the spikes correctly, turns them into a striking plant. Thank goodness I only have to do this once a year!

Jane

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

Jeez This caught my eye this morning. I was going to email you Jane. We were just talking about this at the NYC Light Pow Wow. Spiced Ham is a mind reader! Your DH was complaining about photographing the "unruly". Relief is on the way!

I use a 28 w clf and move it around. Its a real pain. This way is easier.

Thanks Spiced Ham. Always love your posts! This one should be in the FAQ

Clara

• Related Discussions

'Tis the Season to Gain Weight

Q

Comments (3)
    I've run out of window space. Wish I knew hot to set up artificial lights. I've been looking at set ups with T5 bulbs, but they only come in 5,000K. Can't find the set up with 6,500K bulbs
    ...See More

''Tis the season

Q

Comments (3)
    My sister is working right now. She has less time for the shop, gardening or picking blueberries at the moment. We are getting ready for an open Studio event for the weekend. Yesterday she went out with my niece and picked 8 quarts. Sent me a message let's skip everything and pick blueberries! She likes them with her granola.
    ...See More

Tis the season for new kitchen gadgets

Q

Comments (10)
    We have a 6 qt Nuwave and love it. My favorite thing to make in it are steaks, believe it or not. They are like they are grilled on a gas grill (nothing as good as charcoal) and easy to have done to your perfect inside temp. As our grill season is very short here, I love being able to have steak the other 9 months out of the year without having to clean splatters all over the stove. My kids love fried ravioli and you can do homemade easily in the air fryer. Thaw frozen ravioli and bread with egg and breadcrumbs/parm and spritz with oil and cook in the AF until crispy. Wings are great in the AF too without the mess and babysitting of deep frying. I have a large Breville toaster oven with convection and a range with convection and the way an air fryer works is much different. The air speed is much greater which crisps things faster without over cooking. In fact, if you make burgers in one and toss on a slice of cheese without something on top to hold it down, the cheese will fly off the burger before it melts.
    ...See More

“Tis the Season for Seasonality?

Q

Comments (10)
    Oh those shows...... That is a ridiculous whine. They are in season SOMEWHERE. And they were likely sourced from that somewhere. The magic of modern trade. I think things like that are food snobs looking for reasons to sniff and snark. I cannot watch shows like that anymore. Can we just appreciate that they made a turkey out of a strawberry without going all righteous foodie indignation? I can. I guess the "Expert" judges cannot. So sorry I did not grow and harvest the sugarcane for this cake myself. No, I did not mill my own wheat for it either......so sorry. No, I did not climb a tree in Madagascar to get the vanilla.......sorry, I am useless and cant cook.....The eggs? No, I cannot tell you the maiden name of the chicken that laid them......and I did not churn the butter either.....
    ...See More
  • HollyT
    16 years ago

Thanks for that post--reminds me that I need to start staking. I usually leave it too late. I have my phals about 10-12" below 48" fluorescent tubes. There is enough light that most of the new leaves are reddish. If I raised the lights to 15 or 18" would I get longer spikes? In other words, do the spikes reach for the light?

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

Yes - to a certain extent. I have Phals which have spikes which get huge. But the branching types stop at a certain length and begin to branch.

• spiced_ham
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lower light equals longer spikes. If you have over lapping flowers put the plant/spike end in lower light (get the end away from the bulbs - the cascade should help this). Light inactivates chemicals responsible for hardening elongating young cells. That chemical also prevents side branching so higher light should give you more branches on a shorter spike.

You see it all the time with tall straight oak trees in a dark forest, while the same species will be short and bushy out in the middle of a cow field. This is also why you don't want to grow seedlings under flowering light, it will stunt them.

• kristgray
    16 years ago

Wait a second, Phals should be spiking now? I have one, and it is my first orchid, so I don't know anything other than what I'm learning as I go along. Mine still has flowers in bloom from the summer and there is no sign of a new spike.

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

Ah, but growing seedlings, you want them short and stocky. Stronger light = better plants.

• xmpraedicta
    16 years ago

This is a good guide - I personally enjoy the natural cascade of phals rather than the perfect uniform-facing cascades you see in some pictures. But if growing near a window, having spikes mash their noses against the glass is rather undesirable. In fact here's a funny story - one of my phals I decided to take downtown with me to my rental room, since it's just so bleak and plantless. I have it on my bedroom window (the only window in my rental house that is plant friendly) sitting between a curtain and the glass. At first, there were spikes growing towards the window, but then the silly plant decided to put out another spike on the other side of itself, straight into the curtain. I can't move the plant away from the curtain towards the glass because the first spike squishes into the glass. Nor can I move the plant further away from the glass because then the new spike gets buried in the curtain! I can't raise the curtain because my bedroom faces the street. So now I have a ridiculous setup where a box is positioned so it pushes the curtain away from the window in a little tent, under which my phal can happily spike away. Once the second spike gets long enough I'm sure it will see the light and change course, but a little bit of training may be in order. I just hate jabbing sticks into the media...every time I hear the crunch of perlite, I think I'm slicing up roots!

I must be getting pretty good light though, because I'm getting branches everywhere, even on old cut spikes I thought were dead. Thanks for the info on that one.

• spiced_ham
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jane, By your statement you should put them in full sun. Feel free to have small stocky seedlings, I want mine big, and that means growing them below "strong" flowering light. Indoors, we are mostly growing Phals at the low end anyway.

KristGray,

Don't worry, it is not unusual that your first orchid does not spike for you the first year. They are pretty messed up from changing conditions. Orchids are more tempramental than flowering houseplants like Christmas cacti, which is why the blooms have such value to their growers.

• rfraser529
    16 years ago

Not too long ago there was the post asking about trimming roots to fit Phals to the pot. went looking for it and got distracted by the other interesting posts I had not seen... anyway, did not find it. The thread made reference to an out of print book on Phal culture that advocated the root surgery. I was intrigued and bought a copy second hand on Amazon. I sort of skimmed the book but there is a chapter on training spikes, and in it he suggested doing the training late in the day due to reduced hydrostatic pressure within the cells of the spike. Less pressure = "bendy-er" spike.

I am in the process of bending a Doritanopsis to my will. I can honestly say there does seem to be a little less resistance to bending in the evening, though it could be observer bias too.

Richard

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

Sorry, Spiced I was talking about 'dirt seedlings.' I guess you meant Orchid seedlings. Either way, high light for seedlings sets the stage for a healthy, well built plant. I do push light for seedlings to encourage good leaf/root growth. I do not over fertilize, for the same reason. I don't want leggy plants. I'm not sure what you mean about 'strong flowering light.' I put seedlings in as much light as they can handle.

I find it interesting that cutting back on light causes the spike to elongate. It sounds good on paper, but it hasn't been my experience. Would you mind sharing that information?

I grow my few Phals (8) under very strong light outdoors. As they spike in fall, I try to keep them in as much sunlight as I can. Their spikes continue to stretch toward the sun, straight up. When they come in, they go as close to the window as possible. At this point, I don't worry about the leaves, I want the strong light for the spikes. The Phals that branch are genetically programed to branch. Light doesn't seem to have any role in branching.

What I do notice is that low light decreases the strength of the spike. Low light spikes are thinner and skinny. High light spikes are thick and robust. I'll have to pay more attention to the differences. It never occurred to me to 'decrease' light to the spikes.

Richard, I will try your 'night staking.' Makes absolute sense!

I apologize for any confusion,

Jane

• spiced_ham
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jane,
    You are definitely right about the dirt plants, but then again, most yard and garden plants are designed to grow in full sun.

Two problems with orchids. 1) They don't move water as quickly as dirt plants so cell elongation is hampered more under high light/low humidity than it is with high water pressure garden plants. 2) Orchids are partial shade plants, and each has its own native place in the forest canopy, with forest floor growers like Paphs (and most house plants) being the lowest light. The physiology is adapted to a certain light range, too much light and you get daily chemical backup damage, and energy goes into cleaning up the mess each night rather than growth.

I disregarded the conventional wisdom to grow seedlings at lower light (probably I read in Northen's book and others) because I didn't think my light was that high, but after a while I found that I was even stunting my adult catts. High light also goes hand in hand with lower local humidity, and that may have been a big factor too.

I grew stunted (75% size) cattleyas for a couple of years until I 1) built the collection large enough that they were self shading due to being packed on the bench, and 2)I moved many to the Oncid benches. I also stunted Phals and Paphs under shoplights because I had so much reflective maerial around them (white stone below and mirrors on 3 sides. It wasn't until I recently moved and put my paphs in a bedroom corner that they actually started to grow big.

If you are having flower spacing problems, most notably with things like yellow Catts, which tend to open buds before they get out of sheath, you will get the spike to elongate more if you take them out of growing light and put them down into phal light when the buds start to mature.

The overal spike length of phals may not change noticable with high light because of high growth rate, but the flower spacing will. You might not have problems, but if you do, like with the yellow catts, keep that bud end out of the high light. The low humidity right next to bulbs doesn't help the matter.

The biggest problem I have ever had with light stunting was growing African violets in a bright apartment. Under my Phal conditions they were so flat and tight that flowers couldn't make it between the leaves easily, and watering had to be from below. That is why I laugh whenever I see it recommended that Phals be grown in AV light.

• mehitabel
    16 years ago

Calvin: boxes are absolutely necessary multi-function items for all pragmatists. :)

re light for spikes: What I have found is that spikes grown in higher light produce smaller flowers with intense colors. Just as a matter of personal aesthetics, I like those more than the paler, bigger, blowzier Mae West type of flower you get in lower light.

Since I am not growing for show or for sale, just to please myself, I give spikes as much light as I can and then drool over the radiant colors produced.

Jane: Like Calvin, I prefer a natural spike. Also, I'm a little lazy, so I stake a spike to grow upwards, and then let it be. But letting them growing upwards the way they want to, I have found that a lot of the newer phals array their flowers in an orderly way on the spike all by themselves. Breeders must be selecting for this trait (among others) these days.

I'm thinking of a raspberry Sogo Smith and a yellow Sogo David in bloom right now with perfect shingling on a tall spike with absolutely no effort on my part. Sogo is obviously breeding for self-shingling. You might find some of theirs easier to train.

• paul_
    16 years ago

Quite an interesting thread. Thx Spiced.

• chip02115
    16 years ago

spiced_ham z5 NY (My Page) on Fri, Nov 9, 07 at 9:42 wrote: "I grew stunted (75% size) cattleyas for a couple of years until I 1) built the collection large enough that they were self shading due to being packed on the bench, and 2)I moved many to the Oncid benches. I also stunted Phals and Paphs under shoplights because I had so much reflective maerial around them (white stone below and mirrors on 3 sides. It wasn't until I recently moved and put my paphs in a bedroom corner that they actually started to grow big."

This is great tip spiced_ham! I have to be careful with my phalaenopsis seedlings! I could have swore the ones in high light (>2000 fc) grew a bit slower than the one in lower light. I attributed it luck/genetics until I read your post above. Shall be more watchful now - so thanks! alvin

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

Up against my SW window taken tonight. The longest spike (so far) is 28 inches. Bad photo, but you can see the spikes. The Phal on left has started branching. The spikes have not started budding yet. The spikes are still elongating.

{{gwi:202087}}

This is the same Phal a few years ago (high light).Taken toward the end of its flowering (note green out the window)That spike was covered in blooms.
    {{gwi:202089}}{{gwi:202091}}

The spike is almost 3 1/2 ft. Noid Phal

{{gwi:202093}}

This is the branching orchid 2 years ago?? (not positive on the year). Dtps Beauty Sheen 'Lan Lan'

I have not noticed any difference in spike size, nor color, putting the spikes in full sun. The white phal has huge flowers and leaves.

Jane

• spiced_ham
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank God for good genetics. Some phals can do no wrong, while some give you gnarly clumps of 2.5" flowers when that winter full sun hits them rather than the good spread of 3" flowers made under bright indirect light. Windows have enough down/dark time between high light periods that it often doesn't matter, greenhouses and big blazing grow lights are where some fine tuning might be needed. I had one that came out semi-semi-peloric if the temperature was too low, and clumped flowers if light was too high. Too bad because it put out over twenty flowers on three or four branches every year.