SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

Some Climber Advice

harmonyp
11 years ago

I have one partial shade spot on a fence where I'd like a climber, and then one sun spot that was unfortunately freed up when a gopher ate the roots on cl. Royal Gold. I'm afraid for my two St. Joseph Coats, but with their current size and intense thorns there is just no way I'm digging them up. I'm eyeballing cl. America and cl. Blaze and cl. Handel for caging, but they're really big and 100 roses later I'm just getting replant weary, so thinking I may just need to replace them if the gophers get them. I did take the effort of digging up and caging cl. Pink Don Juan, for which I'm super happy as I love her.

If cl. America goes, I'll definitely replace her with same. But now, with America and Pink Don Juan, I'm spoiled with big, perfect bloomed, fragrant and cuttable climbers.

Starting with the two spots, one in sun and one needs to be able to survive in partial shade. Sounds like cl. Cecile Brunner and Golden Showers fit the shade bill, but neither really appeals to me from a bloom perspective.

Roses I'm pining a bit over are cl. Red Eden, cl. Eden (pink version, I guess unscented but awesome form), and cl. Don Juan (the default red).

Anyone have suggestions for my zone on big bloomed, heavy pedaled, and hopefully fragrant climbers to cover a 6' chain linked fence?

Comments (2)