Houzz Logo Print
talcottparsons

Ok, I'm ready to try compots....

talcottparsons
16 years ago

There are a few important points in an orchid grower's life:

1. When we get our first orchid.

2. When a favorite plant dies.

3. When we find a species or variety that simply catches our breath and immediatly captivates us.

4. When we decide we are ready to try growing compots.

5. When we try hybridizing to create a new plant.

Well, for me #1 was a NOID hybrid Phal from Wal Mart. Its petals looked like lovely candy cane stripes and its deep,rich leather like leaves were a significant departure from other houseplants I had seen. That was the Fall of 2000 and I have been hooked ever since.

#2 Was that same NOID phal months later when I learned that it is more common to kill phals by overwatering them, than by underwatering them.

#3 The Sanderiana "alba" Supposedly after drinking from the Holy Grail, King Arthur said "I didn't know how empty my soul was until it began to be filled." That was my experience when I saw my first Sanderiana "alba" in 2003. It was in an orchid shop in Chicago and it wasn't for sale. Since then, I've only seen them in catalogs and its been difficult to find them. I prefer to trade orchids, rather than buy them, if I can. And I've never had a person with Sand. alba express any interest in trading. Until that time, seriously, I will continue to occasionaly dream about the plant at night (really!).

#4 This occured to me this week. I am ready to grow orchids from compots. I've thoght about it in the past, but I move around so much for work that I didn't think it was possible. Now, however, I am in a place I wish to stay and I'm ready to take the big step and grow them from compots. I'm a bit nervous, but I've got a light system, a heater, and the perfect spot. Now I just need the orchids.

I will let you know how it goes, I would ask you to wish me luck, but I know you would anyway.

By the way... does anyone have some compots they want to trade????

Joseph

drjosephdiaz@yahoo.com

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus