SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckbunch_gw

Cecile Brunner, brown spotting on canes

beckbunch
13 years ago

I live in western WA and have had my Cecile Brunner in the ground for about 18 months now. It had beautiful flowers last year, but quite a lot of black spot on the leaves (which I was told this rose was not prone to). Yesterday I was tying up some of the canes (thankfully I have a huge support because this is going to be BIG) and saw that most of the canes have large brown spots. I don't know if "spots" is the right word because they're not round--just areas throughout the cane that are dark brown and look rather textured, whereas the green parts of the cane are smooth.

The only other rose I have experience with is my Autumn Sunset climbing rose which I've had for 5 years and have never had black spot and the canes are different colors based on age, but pretty uniform color from the bottom of each cane to the top.

Is what I'm describing normal for a Cecile Brunner? If not, and if this is just an extension of the black spot problem I had last summer on the leaves, is there anything I can do about it? The rose seems to be thriving in every other way.

Comments (3)