SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

My Gramm speciosum has a frind, many friends.

orchidnick
13 years ago

I was ecstatic when my Grammatophyllum speciosum started producing 2 types of new growths. 21 of them were thick like a thumb, about 10 had little green leaves. I assumed that the thick ones with the closed end would be flower spikes and the other ones new growths.

2 months later the 'flower spikes' are 6" plus and the tips are opening up into what would appear to be developing new leaves. The leafy ones look like baby palm trees. I finally called Reid Kawamoto, the originator of the plant and described the situation to him. He thinks the leafy thingies are a Sphatoglottis species. Apparently they grow like weeds in the soil of Hawaii and send their seeds everywhere. He just pulls them out when they make their appearance. He thinks my 'flower spikes' are new leaves as their plants in Honolulu are in full bloom, closer to finishing the bloom than starting it. The flower spikes stay closed at the tip and eventually get longer than the leaves.

I did not expect the plant to bloom this year after the rough trip it had from Hawaii but was ecstatic when I thought it would. I will happily accept the 21 new leaves, this sucker is going to get huge faster than I thought was possible. Or should I say huger.

I will try to liberate a few of the Sphatoglottis and leave the rest as a companion plant for the big guy, he needs friends too. Reid said: "No extra charge for all the additional orchids." What a guy!

Nick

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus