SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venividi_gw

The sun whose rays are all ablaze....

venividi
15 years ago

I know this topic has been discussed recently, but I'd like to reinforce the message for all indoor growers...

This is my second year of growing orchids. Last year I started on the windowsills, and introduced CFLs in the winter as my collection grew.

This summer I put everything outside on mini-greenhouse wire shelves on our sheltered porch beside the front door. The phals got morning sun until about 11 a.m. and the cattleyas and dendrobium were then moved over into brighter light, protected by shade cloth. There were some instances of sunburn, but they were mainly minor. The paphs were largely protected by being at the back and bottom of the shelving, and I anxiously moved them indoors after a month or so. I had 14 phals, one den, two paphs, a burrageara and three cattleyas.

During the late summer my burrageara, Nellie Isler, spiked and bloomed, and so did my paph Maudiae and three phals. Today I did a spike count and got a bit excited:

10 Phals, including a couple with two spikes.

My NOID Walmart den has two spikes.

2 cattleyas have swollen pseudobulbs and sheaths just peeping up. (I'm not sure what happens next.)

I really don't think I could have done this without the help of the sun!

During the year we have also introduced a few phals into the life of my frail 88 year-old father-in-law who is virtually confined to his apartment (without a balcony). He was worried in case they didn't spike, but two have so far and another has a keiki, so he'll have something to look forward to this winter. We'll give him a CFL before the winter, then he won't have to worry about the adequacy of his window light.

Comments (23)