SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsehorn_gw

Maturation of Cymbidium growths

13 years ago

I am new to the Pacific Northwest, and am growing a cymbidium for the first time. The weather where I lived before in Oklahoma was all wrong for cymbidiums, so I never tried.

Anyway, I got a plant in bloom this spring. When it finished booming, I repotted it in a Cymbidium potting mix. It took a seemingly long time for new growth to start, but once it did, it did great. The new growths are robust and large, but they aren't nearly mature. The leaves haven't fully emerged and pseudobulbs have not begun to form. Shouldn't growth be complete by this time, with the plants preparing to strike flower spikes? Oh, and I know it got adequate sun.

I fertilized regularly all summer and the plant is growing very well. It got plenty of sun, and the leaves are a nice, light, bright green color. I'm just concerned because it started developing new growths so late that they won't be mature enough to initiate flower spikes. Is this something normal that I should just forget about, or has something gone awry, and if something has gone awry, what was it, and is there anything I can do about it now?

Comments (9)