SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blossom_girl

Questions on New Growth!

16 years ago

Questions on both of my Phals... #1:

In September, when I bought my first Phal, I feared I would kill it. Now, it's still in bloom with one flower more than when I bought it and new growth happening in three places! It's got one little branch growing from the highest node and a little something just starting to poke out at the node beneath it. There's also a little green nub of something (not sure if it's a root or a new spike because it's still pretty small) growing out of the base-- just above the second leaf-- is that an strange place for seomthing to grow? Anyone know what it's most likely to be?

Phal #2

This is my rescued hardware store NOID that I've called 'Little Trooper'. The spike was cut down to a node when I got it, and a branch has grown from that node which is now about three inches long-- however it seems to have stalled a little. It was growing so fast at first that when I looked at it each morning I could tell it had grown some since the morning before. Not so much now. Is it normal for them to slow down as they get longer, or should I do something to get it growing again? I worry a bit about fertilizing this one (I've only fertilized each orchid once since getting them) since it isn't as strong as my first Phal (as far as roots go).

Do orchids usually grow lots during autumn? I'm loving that they both have so much going on! In fact most of my plants are growing really great this autumn-- I've got philodendron cuttings that are rooting like mad in a glass, a tiny spider splant baby that's also rooting in water, and an African Violet that I almost killed a while back (they're so darn picky!) that's growing new leaves as well. Hooray!

Comments (4)