SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gothiclibrarian

A "for a friend" climbing rose...help, please!

gothiclibrarian
10 years ago

I gave a friend a New Dawn last year and she's managed to keep it alive, so now she wants a recommendation for another climber. Problem is that I've been having trouble with this for about a year now.

Help, please :D

At first I thought a Canadian Explorer climber as they meet most of her criteria (which are in her order of preference):

-reblooming (more than sporadically)
-able to be trained upwards reliably (think either a fan or other structure she'd put in)
-disease-resistant plants with little winter die-back
-brightly colored (she likes bright pinks and reds)
-LITTLE to no scent -her husband has allergies

Her planting spot is a protected eastern exposure near her porch's foundation with full morning sun...I can probably convince her to move her planting spot a bit closer to the southern-exposure side if the plant needed more afternoon sun, but then the foundation wouldn't protect it as much either.

Her dirt is typical central Indiana clay...so chlorosis can be an issue here. We also tend to get powdery mildew in the spring and blackspot in the summer. She is also an organic gardener, as I am.

Ideally the plant would be 10'-12' at maturity (maybe 15' tops) and not have such severe die-back each winter that it disappears to ground level...some die-back is ok though. Winter interest through hips or even reddish canes would be lovely.

I worry that here in our climate (USDA moved us to 6A in 2012 but I still have 5B in my head) one of the Canadian Explorer climbers might get too porch-eating without a level of pruning commitment that she's not ready for.

Does anyone near my zone (again, 5B or 6A depending on your reckoning) have experience with Quadra/William Baffin/John Davis, specifically?

Any other climbers you'd recommend for our area that we look at with her criteria and wishlist in mind? Again, she has New Dawn and wants something different for her 2nd climber.

Cheers!
~Anika

Comments (6)